Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Meant to post this in here, since there are more muscovy owners in this thread -
Does anyone trim their muscovies wings? I am wondering if I trimmed enough. I have seen vids and the diagrams. But, this morning my drake jumped off a stump and "flew" about 3 feet. I only trimmed one wing on each bird. I trimmed up to the 2nd set of wings if that makes sense. Will that allow them to still fly - or was he able to get air because he jumped off of a stump?

Meant to post this in here, since there are more muscovy owners in this thread -
I trim all hens that decide to nest in my chicken nestboxes. I trim pretty harshly so they are grounded until the fall molt.

As long as yours aren't going up too high you can clip as much as you want. Either you want to ground them or leave enough for a glide so they don't hurt their legs your drake will eventually get heavy enough to be grounded for life. I have never seen a mature muscovy drake fly. Hens are really good at long low gliding flies.

I trim all hens that decide to nest in my chicken nestboxes. I trim pretty harshly so they are grounded until the fall molt.

As long as yours aren't going up too high you can clip as much as you want. Either you want to ground them or leave enough for a glide so they don't hurt their legs your drake will eventually get heavy enough to be grounded for life. I have never seen a mature muscovy drake fly. Hens are really good at long low gliding flies.
This is really good to know! Thank you!
If all goes as planned i may be the happy owner of 4 or 5 muscovy ducklings tonight..:fl

All 4 "flew" like a long jump from one section of the yard to the other, then ran back to their safe spot. :D I haven't seen flapping and flying yet.

All 4 "flew" like a long jump from one section of the yard to the other, then ran back to their safe spot. :D I haven't seen flapping and flying yet.
I would probably clip one wing back to the secondary wings. You may have to do it again as sometime they keep growing back in that first year.

I would probably clip one wing back to the secondary wings. You may have to do it again as sometime they keep growing back in that first year.
So, this is where I cut them (where the orange line is) - maybe not enough?
2018-07-03-14-29-18.jpg

Back
Top Bottom