Muscovy male aggression

Kiwi808

Hatching
Jan 3, 2024
Aloha,
Our Muscovy male has chased our lovely Muscovy girl to the other side of the 60 acre plus pond we live by and won’t let her return to feed. Neither have clipped wings.
Suggestions please 🙏

Thank you, I would prefer not to but we may have to. He’s a really big old boy and a bully to all the ducks in the pond (mainly mallards).
I wondered about trimming his wings so he can’t fly which would be a pity as he looks quite magnificent.

No we don’t want more. I only got the hen because it seemed wrong for him to be alone.
I’d appreciate you explaining why one hen may be a problem…
There is a wild female he hangs with about the same size as the Muscovy hen. I’m not sure of her breed. Will attach a photo if I can as would like to know her breed/s.
Mahalo for your help.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 8
I’m not sure I understand the “they don’t mate” comment. Does that mean they are group social rather than selecting and bonding with an individual mate?

More hens because it would divide his attention. Muscovy are from a different breed than our other domestic, mallard type ducks. They don't mate.
Mallards and Muscovies do hybridize. I would never want my Muscovies to have contact with wild birds. It's not only potentially dangerous for your ducks but it's also not good for the wild population.

There is a wild female he hangs with about the same size as the Muscovy hen. I’m not sure of her breed. Will attach a photo if I can as would like to know her breed/s.
Mahalo for your help.
She appears to be a Mallard Muscovy hybrid (mule duck). Mule ducks are not fertile.

Muscovies not only mate with each other, but also mate with mallard derived ducks. The breeding between a Muscovy and a mallard type, if the offspring survive, are sterile mules or mullards. Which the "wild" hen may be.

Thank you for your helpful responses.
I’m thinking I may need to rehome both separately. A pity as I love them both. The male was dumped here and has only learnt to swim since his arrival. We thought we were going to have to rescue and revive him the first time he fell in the pond! Now he swims confidently and looks clean; loves bathing.
The surroundings are duck paradise.
Our property is 75% under water with the little solid ground by a busy road so not suitable to enlarge the Muscovy flock.
Some of the bird life here is protected, though not the wild ducks which come and go at will.

Back
Top Bottom