Muscovy....Or....Cayuga?

Personally, I hate scovies!!
gig.gif
But for what you are looking for, they would probably be your best bet!

Scovies are bigger than cayugas, they can fly, I don't know how friendly they are, but my cayugas are pretty skittish anyway. But I never mess with them, only to feed. They live on the pond, and I like them to be as wild as they can, keeps them more alert. Any duck can live with chickens, if the set-up is right.

Glad (for you
tongue.png
) you found some scovie eggs!!

I know you already are on your way with the eggs, but I just want to reinforce how awesome they are. Mine let me pet them, make no noise, have great big eggs and hatch out baby chicks for me. Also, they don't all have the really bad caruncles. My girls' barely have them at all, it's more like flat red skin just around the beak. (You can kind of see in my avatar). You are going to LOVE muscovies.

The drakes have the caruncles more than the hens, but the hens have them too. I actually like the red, warty looking things (caruncles is the proper name). I think it adds character!!

I have two Muscovies. They are a wonderful type of duck!

Have fun hatching your babies.

Kathy

Quote:
Mallards are not quiet. Muscovy ducks are the best. We just love them. They are very quiet and are awsome meat birds. They also lay and lay and lay. And if you want a broody bird for hatching just leave a few eggs laying around and you will have 2 or 3 muscovy hens trying to sit on the nest.
Here is a couple of pics
The breast were about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds each.

Muscovyduckbreasts.jpg

And the leg quarters make great sausage

ducksausage.jpg

Sharon

Quote:
Mallards are way too loud for my neighbhor

My mallards are very quite the boys talks way more than the girls most of the time the girls dont say anything...It is my crested and pekin female driving me crazy!!

HI!
I have Muscovies..and one LOUD Pekin.
I have one Drake and 10 ladies.
Last week my BD hatched 2 ducklings & a chick and my Elmo hatched17 out of 18 !
So far we are blessed with awesome Muscovies.
My Pekin is also setting on eggs, apparently Drake doesn't
care what his women are! LOL..
My Mom & I are neighbors, so we call each other
when one is flying between our yards.
They don't wonder off either.
So I think they are great!
Rox
Central PA
P.S. I have a chicken that loves to sleep with the
ducks.

Back
Top Bottom