1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy owners please help!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fergusbeakley, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Have you ever had a neutered duck in your home, Buck?

2. duckies1230

duckies1230 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I didn't get him nutered i got him a mate. I was only saying what other people advised me to do. I didnt have the extra money but not everyone has the option to do that. I'm sure if she didn't feed the duck 24/7 he wouldn't gorge and become fat and lazy. I've never heard of anyone having a bad experience. Plus, no one on BYC has ever led me in the wrong direction!!!!! :bow

3. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't so I really shouldn't question it but my only duck friend local duck friend , much older than me, he's 60 and his family has raised ducks, he has had experience and he showed me one of them that was still alive and, I really felt bad for it, it's a khaki Campbell and he is super big :( and can hardly move, but then again it's about 8 yrs old, but other males around that age were still running around and mating but he could barley stand up sooo.....

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    As a house duck I doubt Wobbles or the OP's scovy would have that problem as their food intake is controlled. If Bean and Wobbles don't have babies this Spring, I have no qualms neutering him. My vet has 30 years' experience, and her own drakes were okay. :)

5. Fergusbeakley

Fergusbeakley Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2015

I'm so glad you understand. I wasn't sure how to explain it and my partner thinks I'm crazy when I tried to tell her but I know what you mean when you say he isn't being aggressive. These moments usually start when he is hyper excited to see me. Usually in the morning or when we go outside and sit in the sun together he starts playing and then all of a sudden his wings are puffed out and his head is down sussing out an opportunity to latch onto me. My yelps of pain are often met by more excitement and a gleeful wag of his tail and every reaction he gets just seems to encourage him. It's like my retaliation is all part of the game and he doesn't actually understand he is hurting me.
    I've tried spinning him over like a turtle, picking him up and whispering to him which normally calms him down but he just gets more and more persistent on getting a reaction from me.
    He does have an unnecessarily strong fear of plastic bags so I'm going to try chasing his advances away with the bag today and see if this fear can help him realise that he is crossing a line. I shall report back later tonight. Thanks everyone for your advice.

6. Fergusbeakley

Jul 1, 2015

I have taken him out to a friends farm and let him roam around with other ducks and he chickens and the poor thing nearly had a heart attack. We put him in with a few other Muscovy females for a few hours and when I came back he was hiding in the coop, his little heart was pounding and he was shaking. I kind of hoped that given a few hours he would of become social and done his business with one of the females so I'm not sure what to think of getting him a mate. If he is away from us for a night he usually just chills out and entertains himself but other ducks/chickens freak him out. I'm sure that if we isolated him for a while the shock of not having his peas, baths followed by a blow dry and his beloved grey blanket would get to him. Yes he is too spoilt. I'm scared we may have domesticated him a little too much. Anyway I was saying in my other post that he seems to enjoy the reaction from biting and whatever I do he just gets more excited and persistent.
    I plan on trying a few out of the box ideas to see if I can't scare him into drawing a line at playtime and not getting too carried away. Getting another female will be a last resort I think. He poos enough as it is.

7. duckies1230

duckies1230 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I miss only having to deal with his poo. His new mate goes a lot! And its so much! Its gross. Mine was only aggressive towards other ppl, he chases my toddler but I don't believe he would ever hurt her. They still do it, they both think its a game. If he is better off by himself and u can't find a solution on your own to stop the aggressive behavior, it will only get worse the older he gets and the more his hormones kick in! Lol typical male..sorry but I would neuter him, it will be for the bst and I honestly don't think any harm would be done. I trust others advice, no one wants to hurt a duck. Everyone I heard that from belonged to the house duck thread and we all baby our beloved pets! Good luck in your decision! And Muscovy ducks are great pets I understand, mine are pekin but I plan on getting two Muscovy hens this summer. They are already reserved, hopefully it all works out. And your Muscovy his gorgeous!

8. Fergusbeakley

Jul 1, 2015
    Oh don't get me started on his poo. One night while I was in bed he jumped up on the bench and got into an open Milo tin. I don't know how much he ate but the next day he was covered head to toe and his water was Milo sludge. His poo was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen haha.

Thank you for your advice. I'm optimistic now that I have some ideas to try. You have some lovely pictures up of your ducky friends too.

9. Fergusbeakley

Jul 1, 2015
    Ok guys I feel very silly right now but it appears that Fergus may actually be a Fergy. He/she is making nests!!!

I swear that Fergus had ticked every single box of male behaviour and now this!! Is this normal? I didn't know females acted so aggressive. No eggs yet but we have found 3 different nests in 5 days. She seems to make them over night. Do I have a gender confused duck or is it more likely I am just a fool who had sexed her incorrectly!?!?

10. Fergusbeakley

Jul 1, 2015
    I've actually successfully stopped the naughty behaviour by turning him, her, whatever, upside down until I get calmness then she, him seems to settle. So thank you for that.

I've uploaded some photos of Fergus on outside and one of him/her on her belly scratching a nest out of paper. Tell me what you guys think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by