muscovy sitting on eggs

Luvs chickens

Songster
10 Years
Sep 28, 2009
Massachusettes
I have a muscovy that had been gathering eggs to sit on. She had about 20 total. she has gradually been having less and less every day. she now has 8. We have checked and have found no signs of crushed eggs and there are no holes or points of access where rats etc could enter. any suggestions on where they are going. Do muscovies eat the non developing eggs?
smile.png

Hi,

My muscovy never ate her eggs that she sits on. She does roll them out of the nest if they are not fertile/bad. I think something is stealing them. Maybe a snake? I think black snakes eat duck eggs. Or maybe even a raccoon. Do you have any way to set up a night time camera to video tape through the night to see what is taking them? Or are they disappearing during the day? Maybe another duck is stealing them for her nest? Is anybody else sitting?

Hope you get it figured out.

Kathy

I agree w/the others.... something is stealing them. Generally, Scovies will roll them out if they don't want them in the nest. IF they are going bad, I've seen my girls take them out and dump them in the water bowl. Usually, if it's a Scovy stealing them to eat you find egg shell in the water bowl or near by.

she is in a covered, enclosed duck yard and she has her eggs in the duck house. no dogs get in. haven't seen any raccoons in the area or neighborhood. I am going to search every inch of the duck house floor for points of entry.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom