1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy with black spots on bill.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultrymaniac, Sep 24, 2014.

1. poultrymaniac

poultrymaniac Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2013
    I have always had ducks around and try to keep them im-peck-ably (lol get it) clean. I am such a clean freak, to the point of where I would dunk each duck and clean their always dirty underbelly. This has been going on for about 20 some years, but today I noticed on one of my juvinile muscovy girls, that there are small black spots on their bill. I have never seen these before. They are at the stage where their pale pink bill gets a little more rosy color before the caruncles start coming in. Can anyone tell me what they are? I suspect mildew or some kind of fungal growth.

2. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    Could you post a pic? Do the black spots wipe off? I'm seeing pics of scovies with spots on their bills but they are just black spots, coloration.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Not at all, completely normal.. i have heard varying reasoning but i can assure you it is not mold or fungal growth.

Um, let's see if i can find a pic of a bill...

Here my big boy, "spot" he's several years old and as healthy as a horse lol
    [​IMG]

4. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    I was worried about the same thing a while back; my white Campbell was getting more and more of those black spots over time and it was starting to worry me.

Turns out it's perfectly normal and very likely to occur in laying ducks as I'm told that's what causes it!
    (So metzler farms faq says anyway!)

5. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

mucovies have a short range of bill color but they consist of all rosy pink, but some have black spots, splashes, circles etc. and some can have black crunkles so don't be worried they are perfectly fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by