Mushroom foragers

Pics
I'm not Ralphie... :)  But I'll hazard a guess. Trametes versicolor. But it's hard to say and it could be something else. Is it growing on a dead oak? Or, if not, what type of tree is that? 

Here's a tip: when you shoot a pic of the mushroom, try and get one from underneath too, because then we can see the spore-bearing surface. Some of these bracket fungi have almost a stem or stipe, and seeing that can also help in identification. 

That is so amazing on your morels! Good for you! Your mushroom year is starting out fantastic!!

Thanks I didn't even know I had a mushroom year. :gig

I will get a picture of the underneath parts as well. It is on an oak log that has been there for several years. I have several pallets of different wood stacked farther in to property along with dead and down trees. Mostly blue and white oak.

Some buckeyes, berry vines, ferns and misc other plants. Oh yea poison oak and thistles

I'm not Ralphie... :)  But I'll hazard a guess. Trametes versicolor. But it's hard to say and it could be something else. Is it growing on a dead oak? Or, if not, what type of tree is that? 

Here's a tip: when you shoot a pic of the mushroom, try and get one from underneath too, because then we can see the spore-bearing surface. Some of these bracket fungi have almost a stem or stipe, and seeing that can also help in identification. 

That is so amazing on your morels! Good for you! Your mushroom year is starting out fantastic!!

Here's a picture of mushroom on log from bottom.

Yeah it looks a whole lot better from the top.

BTW the "eeewwwww Gross" should tell you my level of expertise...
lau.gif

I found a hoard and I mean hoard of Larch Bolettes last fall, I was in hog heaven, until I got them home and saw they are a slimy ugly mushroom that lasts about an hour once picked. It is one of those mushrooms I know I can eat if I am every dumped in a tammarack swamp filled with mosquitoes on naked and afraid..

Not worth knowing about for most of us.

BTW the "eeewwwww Gross" should tell  you my level of expertise...:lau

I found a hoard  and I mean hoard of Larch Bolettes last fall,  I was in hog heaven, until I got them home and saw they are a slimy ugly mushroom that lasts about an hour once picked.  It is one of those mushrooms I know I can eat if I am every dumped in a tammarack swamp filled with mosquitoes on naked and afraid..

Not worth knowing about for most of us.

:gig
These were slimy alright. Not even picked it was a slimy mess.

I went out this morning to "plant" mushroom plugs.

I found what I am assuming are oyster mushrooms, one group which I believe is already past its prime, but then I am a complete amateur and don't have much of a clue. Perhaps the last one is something else?.

Back
Top Bottom