Mushroom foragers

Pics
I went out this morning to "plant" mushroom plugs.

I found what I am assuming are oyster mushrooms, one group which I believe is already past its prime, but then I am a complete amateur and don't have much of a clue. Perhaps the last one is something else?.

That is so cool you are "planting" mushrooms! Good luck with that! I think it's a great idea and I wish we could do that here - but hard wood logs are in short supply here. I have seen Pleurutus growing on things like apple trees, and I did see some on a Ponderosa log, but I don't think that is typical!

Your first photos *might* be Pleurutus but the caps don't look quite right... the cracking and so on, well, it makes me suspect Pholiota. The gills also don't seem quite right for Pleurutus. The second batch? Hard to say. You will discover that you really need to see the underside, or spore bearing surface, to really know, and then things like spore color, does it have a stem or not, is it hollow or solid and what does it smell like also can help out. You are right though - they are definitely past their prime!! Yikes!

That is so cool you are "planting" mushrooms! Good luck with that! I think it's a great idea and I wish we could do that here - but hard wood logs are in short supply here. I have seen Pleurutus growing on things like apple trees, and I did see some on a Ponderosa log, but I don't think that is typical!

Your first photos *might* be Pleurutus but the caps don't look quite right... the cracking and so on, well, it makes me suspect Pholiota. The gills also don't seem quite right for Pleurutus. The second batch? Hard to say. You will discover that you really need to see the underside, or spore bearing surface, to really know, and then things like spore color, does it have a stem or not, is it hollow or solid and what does it smell like also can help out. You are right though - they are definitely past their prime!! Yikes!

Thank you for your help. I looked through the National Audubon Society - Field Guide to Mushrooms. I would definitely say they are not Pholiota. There is no visible stem and the gills run the full length from the cap to the root.

This is a small one directly above the big "past its prime" unit.

This is the bottom of the "past its prime" unit. It is completely dried out and I did not notice any distinguishing smell.

These are photos of the large plump unit to show the gill construction.

While the cracking may not be what is expected, it is something that I do not find unusual here. I am at one mile high elevation in what is often referred to as high plains desert. The lack of moisture for long periods of time followed by short periods of moisture very often leads to rapid growth spurts that cause the "cracking". This batch of mushrooms was not visible last week.

When I started here, there was only sand, sagebrush and prickly pear cactus. I have created my own little ecosystem here. Where these mushrooms came from is beyond me but we have had an extended period of very high wind velocities almost all winter and spring.

Thank you.

I found what I am assuming are oyster mushrooms, one group which I believe is already past its prime, but then I am a complete amateur and don't have much of a clue. Perhaps the last one is something else?.

I cut out the big one on the left and sauteed in butter with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder this morning. It was delicious!!

Oh you can trust me to tell you the complete and whole truth even down to the GPS coordinates I find them at........
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom