Mushy Chick Disease medication choice - please help??

DarkWater1929

Songster
7 Years
Jan 27, 2015
Redding, California
Hello!

I bought 8 new chicks from a local gal. They are now about 10 days old, except for 1 that I believe died of brooder pneumonia. The symptoms were exactly as described. I thought all was going smoothly after that, but discovered today, that a couple of them have pasty butt. I soaked their backsides in some warm water and was wiping away the poop when I discovered that one of them leaks from its umbilicus. I thought at first the material was runny poop, but after reading up on it, it sounds like it is infected yolk material. The chick won't stop picking at it. Antibiotics I have on hand are la 300 and also Thailand 200 or Thailand 50. All three are the injectable variety. Can anyone advise which would be best? I was told that a broad spectrum antibiotic is what's necessary. The chick looks pretty good, other than the drippy backside. But as I say, it keeps picking it itself, so I don't imagine it will stay in good shape for long. All advice will be welcomed! Thank you so much!

I'm sorry no one answered. What happened with your little chick?

I have 2 chicks with beginning pasty butt but noticed something hanging below their vents and wondering if they have mushy chick disease.

Back
Top Bottom