HELP! Awful injury, unknown.

BohoRo317

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2024
I have 50+ chickens at my non-profit, and this is a first. While cleaning the coop this hen came to the barricade and laid down. I thought she was laying an egg, then after cleaning I started my monthly health checks. She was the first I did and I saw an awful wound on her backside.

I thought she had water belly and someone sliced the skin open. However, after 3 days of cleaning and topical antibiotics, I attempted to drain her and nothin came out. I’ve drained dozens of chickens, and this is uncommon.

When I flipped her to drain, I noticed it got worse and something 4” long was dangling out and some fat masses. My farm friend was with me and it seemed to have no blood flow so we, nervously, cut the 4” thing. When I flipped again it all went into a hole. It’s just bizarre.

What am I dealing with? First photo was 3 days ago. I’m keeping it covered and washing it, but this photo she clearly pooped when I took the cover off.

IMG_8236.jpeg
IMG_8235.jpeg
IMG_8239.png

Is that her vent, or is it below the vent? If it's below the vent then it could be damage from fly strike. Have you seen any maggots on her anywhere?

That is a common place for maggot infestation if flies are around where you live. Someone on BYC recently had a hen show up with this same type of wound from pecking. I will try to locate that thread so that you can see the details. I would clean the area with saline, or soak her in warm Epsom salts or saline for 15 minutes. Then dry her well with a towel, and apply antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or vaseline to her wound twice a day.

Is that her vent, or is it below the vent? If it's below the vent then it could be damage from fly strike. Have you seen any maggots on her anywhere?
Hi! Thank you for chiming in. ☺️ It’s below her vent, no fly strike or maggots. It’s still cold here and I didn’t notice anything when I soaked or cleaned.

MediHoney or Manuka honey also can be used on the wound for healing. Be sure to update this thread with pictures, and let us know how she is doing. If she is sitting around on damp ground or bedding, I would provide a clean dry surface or bedding. Other chickens may peck at this wound, so she might benefit from being separated in a wire dog crate with food and water.

MediHoney or Manuka honey also can be used on the wound for healing. Be sure to update this thread with pictures, and let us know how she is doing. If she is sitting around on damp ground or bedding, I would provide a clean dry surface or bedding. Other chickens may peck at this wound, so she might benefit from being separated in a wire dog crate with food and water.
thank you! She’s in the hospital area I use for non-contagious issues and sleeping on some nice sheets. I’ll keep you updated for sure. She went to bed with a nice bandage on to keep her moisturized. Thanks again.

Pretty certain it’s a hernia. My vet, who charges me an insane amount, is closed bc they’re sick. Trying to figure out how to make a holder without poop getting in.

Back
Top Bottom