MUTE SWAN BREEDING SEASON DRAMA STARTING ALREADY

Sid will start chasing off the cygnets from last year when breeding season really gets under way in the spring, especially a male cygnet. By then there will be more open, unfrozen water, so they will have some more room to spread out. The off spring are considered yearlings and hang out with other unpaired swans. They won't be interested in pairing off for another year at least. My husband and I probably won't actually let Sid and Nancy hatch out their eggs this year, because the set up that we have now can only accommodate two breeding pairs. I don't think they will be too happy when we try to collect their eggs.

Yeah I have been reading about Mute and Black Swans and over population problems. They seem to breed more than rabbits,and create hundreds offspring over their very very long life spans. With the yearlings do you plan to rehome them, and if so are you planing as a way to keep them from breeding pairing them off in same sex pairs ? I was reading that a lot of breeders do that to control population, while still allowing the swans to have a companion and not be lonely.

Last edited:
If you actually collect the eggs, your female will just continue to lay more. You have to addle the eggs (make them not viable so they won't hatch) and then leave them in the nest and let her keep sitting till she finally gives up which is usually enough for her to not lay any more for the year.

We have used a very tiny bit in a battery-powered dremel to put a tiny hole in one end of each egg and we do this under cover of darkness when they don't attack nearly as much. Still not an easy thing to accomplish, though. Takes planning and coordination between hubby and I.

I was taught this by our local Fish & Wildlife guy when he was explaining the measures they take to limit the mute swan (invasive) population here in NE Ohio. He also says you can addle eggs simply by shaking (not as surefire a solution, however) or by coating them with vegetable oil so that air cannot penetrate the shell.

Yeah I have been reading about Mute and Black Swans and over population problems. They seem to breed more than rabbits,and create hundreds offspring over their very very long life spans. With the yearlings do you plan to rehome them, and if so are you planing as a way to keep them from breeding pairing them off in same sex pairs ? I was reading that a lot of breeders do that to control population, while still allowing the swans to have a companion and not be lonely.
I haven't heard about as many problems with black swans as Mute swans. I suppose it is because they are less aggressive and there are less common. We will probably keep the yearlings. We will see if we can keep them in same sex groups during next year's breeding season.

If you actually collect the eggs, your female will just continue to lay more. You have to addle the eggs (make them not viable so they won't hatch) and then leave them in the nest and let her keep sitting till she finally gives up which is usually enough for her to not lay any more for the year.

We have used a very tiny bit in a battery-powered dremel to put a tiny hole in one end of each egg and we do this under cover of darkness when they don't attack nearly as much. Still not an easy thing to accomplish, though. Takes planning and coordination between hubby and I.

I was taught this by our local Fish & Wildlife guy when he was explaining the measures they take to limit the mute swan (invasive) population here in NE Ohio. He also says you can addle eggs simply by shaking (not as surefire a solution, however) or by coating them with vegetable oil so that air cannot penetrate the shell.
Oh, right, that's a good point. Why would I want to take the eggs away only to have more laid? Those are methods we will consider, thanks.

I sooo badly want some swans pleading for babies or eggs their sooo beautiful a I have a huge gorgeous pond please pm me if any of y'all can help

idunno.gif
Where are you?? No info in your profile..........

Back
Top Bottom