mutt breeding question

laura625

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2012
HI,
newbie question:
If I start with breeds that I choose for certain Utilitarian qualities like, efficiency, tendency toward broodiness, etc, Is it reasonable to expect the chickens a few years down the road to exhibit combination of those qualities?
I'm thinking of
1 Buckeye rooster
3 buckeye hens
3 orpington
3 gold sex link

this would be ( theoretically), a happily free ranging, reasonably high producing, flock, that would (hopefully hatch and raise their own chicks.
If this group bred 'at will' for a few generations, would the eventual flock of mixed breeds be that kind of flock also?also?
I know the GSL are hybrids who don't breed true...does that mean their high laying numbers are not passed down?
would I be able to recognize these traits in individuals early enough that I could select for them in picking who to keep for breeders?
Thanks!

You should be able to get good layers and most likely broodies from them.
Yes the GSL should pass thier laying ability down to future generations, but remember that they usually revert back to a generation or two. So their laying will most likely be like that of a
grandmother or great grandmother.

Good luck in your project.

Oh and yeah,
welcome-byc.gif
, from Arkansas.

Last edited:
Thanks! exactly what i wanted to know! I didnt know anyone had responded. Still getting the hang of this place.

and howdy back atchya AK!

HI,
newbie question:
If I start with breeds that I choose for certain Utilitarian qualities like, efficiency, tendency toward broodiness, etc, Is it reasonable to expect the chickens a few years down the road to exhibit combination of those qualities?
I'm thinking of
1 Buckeye rooster
3 buckeye hens
3 orpington
3 gold sex link

this would be ( theoretically), a happily free ranging, reasonably high producing, flock, that would (hopefully hatch and raise their own chicks.
If this group bred 'at will' for a few generations, would the eventual flock of mixed breeds be that kind of flock also?also?
I know the GSL are hybrids who don't breed true...does that mean their high laying numbers are not passed down?
would I be able to recognize these traits in individuals early enough that I could select for them in picking who to keep for breeders?
Thanks!

The Buff Orpington is frequently broody and the Buckeye is average on broodiness. So you are sure to have some of these hens go broody sometimes. You can place the Golden Sex-Link eggs under a broody hen.

After a couple of generations you will probably have a flock of good layers that are about average on broodiness.

Are you just curious what will be the result from the chickens you have?

If I were going to select a good free-range breed that would reproduce, I would select the Black Australorp. This breed will lay about 5 eggs a week on average, making it one of the highest egg producing heavy breeds. This breed is also average on broodiness, so you will have hens go broody sometimes. Just an idea.

That's funny, I was just thinking Black australorps.
Just found out about them, really, and thought they sounded perfect.
That is just what I'm looking for, a good free range breed that would reproduce.Cold tolerant dual purpose..
I do need egg production, winter laying is really good as its winter a lot up here.

In addition to being able to selectively breed the chickens I get, I want to be able to let them range along with the mixed flock we already have here. There's a Speckled Sussex rooster ( very gentlemanly so far) sussex mix hens, couple barred rock (a breed we Wont be getting again) 1buff,1blue orpington, and a couple of RIR, who I love. these are all one year old. We have six wyandotte chicks as well.

Id have to choose between buckeyes and black orps to breed, i think, because I can only get one rooster.
Sounds like any of these breeds would be good additions to the current flock. Now I just have to decide on One breed to breed, if u see what I mean... what are black Australorp roosters like?

I recommend you cross some Games or Silkies (or both) into the flock as well. I doubt the Sexlink hens with do much good in the flock as they have never been broody in my experience. The fact that Sexlinks are "hybrids" will not negatively affect future egg numbers.

Ryan

That's funny, I was just thinking Black australorps.
Just found out about them, really, and thought they sounded perfect.
That is just what I'm looking for, a good free range breed that would reproduce.Cold tolerant dual purpose..
I do need egg production, winter laying is really good as its winter a lot up here.

In addition to being able to selectively breed the chickens I get, I want to be able to let them range along with the mixed flock we already have here. There's a Speckled Sussex rooster ( very gentlemanly so far) sussex mix hens, couple barred rock (a breed we Wont be getting again) 1buff,1blue orpington, and a couple of RIR, who I love. these are all one year old. We have six wyandotte chicks as well.

Id have to choose between buckeyes and black orps to breed, i think, because I can only get one rooster.
Sounds like any of these breeds would be good additions to the current flock. Now I just have to decide on One breed to breed, if u see what I mean... what are black Australorp roosters like?

What is wrong with your Barred Plymouth Rocks?

Speckled Sussex would also be a good breed for a free-range flock. They have high egg output and frequent broodiness.

Australorps are generally calm and friendly. But there are always individual variations.

Australorps are also cold and heat tolerant.

I think it would be fine to have various breeds together in your flock, but you just need to make sure you know where the eggs came from that you are hatching.

Last edited:
HI,
newbie question:
I'm thinking of
1 Buckeye rooster
3 buckeye hens
3 orpington
3 gold sex link

Thanks!
You can get what you want done with 2 breeds,
Get a good Rhode Island Red Rooster and put him over American Game Hens. There offspring will be very good layers with broodiness. Fist generation offspring should look somewhat gamey and roosters should weigh right around 6 to 7 lbs. (if you use a good R.I. Red Rooster sire).

Chris

Last edited:
Yikes, More choices!
That's a Beautiful rooster IMvHO.chris. why game hen?
Bullit, the barred rocks seem smart, are pretty, and lay well, but the two we have are the bullies of the flock. chasing others away from food the rocks then don't eat, and off of roosts,'
and out of nest boxes that they then don't use. Seems they stay pretty busy all day just trying to see no one else gets anything good. lol. The smaller one bit me once, I'd swear it was because she'd wanted a tastier treat than whatever I'd given her.lol
Not the most egregious behavior a bird could have, but, stands out in our flock.
Why Game hens?
SIlkies, i understand are good brooders/mothers? Am I stupid to worry about how their mixed offspring would look?

As far as Knowing who id be hatching, I am hoping it will go like this: flock will range together and 'flock breed' a broody hen will eventually hatch a clutch, Pretty much any combo would be a desirable bird for us, based on breed reputations...
When the time came we would decide who to keep for breeders based on individual characteristics, and hopefully, this way, we'd develop a vigorous self sustaining flock of mixed breeds, suited to our purposes.
Meanwhile I would have one pure breed that I would like to continuously keep and hope to improve, for instance buckeye, or B. Australorp. I would pen breed those when I was ready for some chicks.
I am now thinking I'd skip the GSL, i was tempted by prospect of numerous eggs soon...
I am looking at"
Buckeye 1 rooster 3 hens
Black Australorp 4 hens
Orpingtons, whatever colors, 3 hens...

OR forget the buckeyes
sad.png
, get 3 more RIR hens and an Orpington or Australorp Roo.

If I were starting from scratch, I think My dream flock would be buckeyes and Chanteclers.
droolin.gif
..but thats another thread.
Thanks for all the edumacation and opinions. keep em comin!

Last edited:
laura625,

I use American Game because they are outstanding foragers, excellent layers, fearless mothers, and they also add a lot of hardiness to there offspring.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom