My 1 year old hen is acting strange.

ryansmom06

Songster
5 Years
Oct 6, 2018
Batavia Ohio
I have a 1 year old Buff Orpington hen that is acting strangely, she is panting and clicking in a way that sounds like a goose, she has an abnormally large belly, I have tried to drain it but nothing comes out but digesting food, she is a chicken that is usually heavy, but is extremely light now, her poop is clear and yellow/greenish, I have searched it for worms but there is no sign of it, and I have treated our flock for worms recently, she is also not eating or drinking. She usually is the first one in the run to get treats, but she is not eating them or coming out to get them. I have already treated her for sour crop, but her crop is completely empty, I separated her from the rest of the flock, any suggestions?

Where exactly did you "try to drain but only food comes out" on her body?

Can you take a picture of you pointing to the area. Not that it will help I am just curious.

What treats do you offer and how often?

It her lower belly enlarged? Where did you try to drain her? Do you have any pictures of her or her poop? What did you use for worming recently? Is the clicking sound when she breathes? Do you feel any air under the skin on her sides or chest? Does she lay eggs?

It her lower belly enlarged? Where did you try to drain her? Do you have any pictures of her or her poop? What did you use for worming recently? Is the clicking sound when she breathes? Do you feel any air under the skin on her sides or chest? Does she lay eggs?
My daughter posted the thread. She’s not making any sounds. I’ve drained chickens before with water belly. Her belly is swollen some. Lower right side of course. It has been several weeks since they were wormed with ivermectin. Her comb is red she is eating a little. Haven’t seen her drink but I have been giving her water. This is her latest poop. No I don’t feel any air. She isn’t laying as of now. She was though. I did check her vent I didn’t feel an egg or anything.

Attachments

• IMG_4484.jpeg
    IMG_4484.jpeg
    669.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4480.jpeg
    IMG_4480.jpeg
    581 KB · Views: 5
I have seen those black poops with mucus from hens who were having reproductive problems. She could be laying internally. I would make sure that her crop is emptying overnight, then try to get her eating during the day.

Back
Top Bottom