My 13 year old son wants to build an incubator

momiphouph

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
My 13 year old son wants to build an incubator. So I decided to make it a home school project. I want him to read up on what is needed to make an incubator (the science behind it) in order for him to design and build his own. Can you help by giving us some good websites, book suggestions or info so that he can design and build his own incubator? Our family has never tried anything like this so help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. He's a very creative kid that loves to come up with ideas... so I think this project would be really good for him. Thanks!!!
big_smile.png

Thank you those sites do have a lot of information! He is really excited and cant wait to get started. He has been the main caretaker of our little flock and has done an awesome job. So when he came to me wanting an incubator... I decided it would be a GREAT learning opportunity. I am making him read up on everything... but he is ready to just dive in. LOL I like to take advantage of these little opportunities to learn! If anyone else has more info also we sure would appreciate it!

What i have learned from reading here is there are three things when considering how to go about building a bator. Humidity, constant temperature, and ventilation. The rest of it increases hatch rates.
I know that you might want to keep it simple for him however considering today's youth you have to keep it challenging to keep him interested. Make sure that he understands the reasons for choosing the materials and equipment for the builds. He will find it interesting and gratifying to construct and hatch from his own personal concoction that studying helped him accomplish. As a father of two i have seen that youth now a days try to find short cuts to accomplish an objective. In my opinion they won't be able to survive comfortably if they always go by what other people have done. Sure they may make mistakes in the builds but they will learn from it and figure out how to fix it. just my two cents.

In a BYC thread a few months ago a 12 year old boy donned a bra and hatched a few eggs by wearing them for 21 days. Its possible it was an experiment to see if store bought free range eggs might hatch, and some did. Then people were blogging back how they did it, too, by wearing their eggs in their shirts. One chick was purported to hatch during class at school. Good luck finding that, it was within this past year, I think!
wink.png

6chickens in St. Charles :

In a BYC thread a few months ago a 12 year old boy donned a bra and hatched a few eggs by wearing them for 21 days. Its possible it was an experiment to see if store bought free range eggs might hatch, and some did. Then people were blogging back how they did it, too, by wearing their eggs in their shirts. One chick was purported to hatch during class at school. Good luck finding that, it was within this past year, I think!
wink.png

ep.gif
lau.gif
Dedicated group!!​

I have tried to build several..... and have a garage full of fantastic looking incubators.... all the mod cons etc.

The one stumbling block is the thermostat
sad.png

I cannot get one to work.......

The one from Maplins is a kit and was very carefully soldered with all the correct thermistors etc for it to run at the correct temp....... switched it on and a little wisp of smoke was all it managed to produce
sad.png

I'm not electrically minded though..... so cant make one out of anything else
sad.png

I gave up and bought a Hovabator..... then got given an automatic Brinsea Polyhatch
smile.png
wow, that is the biz... It may be old (like around 18yrs old)!! But who cares
smile.png

That is a wonderful project!! It's the sort of thing that, although I did well in public school, makes me wish I'd been homeschooled--I never learned to take on that kind of initiative. Had to learn it as an adult!

Hey QuailQuest--I bet you could find a market for all those "almost-complete" incubators in your garage right here on BYC.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom