My 1st coop attempt (with pics)

Another option, would be to put two screen doors just inside the big solid doors, made with hardware cloth. They would need to be securely locked or latched, also. Then you could have the solid doors open in hot weather and closed in cold weather.

Generally, you need a small amount of ventilation even in cold weather and a much larger amount of ventilation that is seasonally adjustable. There are a lot of different ways to do this that all work. I think most of it comes down to personal preference and your budget.

Alaska to Alabama is quite a change! We are having our hardest winter in awhile and I am filled with envy by the posts showing iris and camellias blooming in other parts of the country. Well, that and all the posts from people still incubating chicks!
lol.png

I like the idea of maybe putting a big screen in the opening where the big clean out doors are. I may just do that on the door on the right when it gets closer to spring/summer.

Today I put the linolium flooring in so I will be able to take it out to hose it off and scrub it clean when needed. I put the nest boxes in and I cut a hole in the side of the coop and installed a plexiglass window so there will be some light getting in. I still need to paint the trim I installed around the window and do a little bit more touch up painting here and there. I also attatched some 2x4's around the outside legs about 1 foot off the ground so the chickens will have some outside roosts when needed and they also helped stiffin up the base of the coop.

It got too dark by the time I finished today to take any new pics but hopefully tomorrow I will get some taken after the painting is done, then I will post some new pics. All that will need to be done next will be to hang the feeder and waterer, put in a layer of straw and then put up a run and I'll be done with it. So hopefully it will all be done tomorrow and I can get the chickens out of the garage and into their coop.
big_smile.png

Jayare

You will really like the slide out floor! We love our new one. I will build a larger coop soon and it will have the removable floor. We put the floor on the tractor bucket move it to the compost pile and slide off the waste, then take the hose and rinse it off!

looking forward to the new pics!

Randy

Woo Hoo, I got the chickies out of the garage and into the coop this afternoon. I wasn't going to put the red heat lamp in with them at first but then I decided maybe they should have the heat for their first night outside. There was frost on the ground this morning so it is getting colder here now.

I am going to upload the new pics to my photobucket then post them. It will take an hour or so for me to get the pics uploaded due to dial-up.

Jayare

Here comes the pics, gotta put up the chicken wire tomorrow and make a gate so I can get into the run. Today I pounded in the steaks for the fencing. Looks like the run will be 22 feet wide by 25 feet long.

DSCF1593.jpg

DSCF1597.jpg

DSCF1602.jpg

Jayare

The 1st pic above shows the window and more leg braces/outside roosts.

The 2nd pic shows the lanolium flooring, nest boxes and the hanging feeded & waterer.

The 3rd pic shows the straw on the floor and some of the window from the inside.

Jayare

Could you please post a photo of your coop door hinges? (The big side doors) I just want to see what kind you have used and how they attach to the frame of the coop.

I need to redo my doors but always have trouble with hinges. I want doors exactly like yours.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom