My 1st hatch setting eggs 3/6

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zekii, Mar 6, 2011.

1. zekii

zekii Songster

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Well I picked up 8 eggs free from a friend, so I am going to try these in my Hovabator that I retrofited with a fan kit.
    I'm not out much $s if these don't hatch and I mess something up, but this will let me test out my incubator.
    Will post pictures has the incubation progresses and hopefully have some chicks hatch sometime around March 27 - 28th if all goes well. I'll probably candle around day 12 to see if I can tell if the eggs look viable.
    So wish me luck [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  2. Emmalion

Emmalion Songster

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    WOOT! Good luck it seems like a lot of us have chick fever right now [​IMG]

3. zekii

zekii Songster

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Took awhile to get the incubator temps up to where I wanted.... eggs went in tonight

here goes !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    lookin good!

Start thinking about how you want to bring the humidity up for the final 3 days or so. I've only hatched 1 other batch but my humidity was @ 50% at hatch & I had awful results. H should be around 70% for lock down.

its all about surface area - maybe keep a number of extra sponges around.

5. zekii

zekii Songster

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Quote:Good too know ... but actually right now I am chasing my humidity around, the house is dry I heat with wood, so I soaked the two half sponges but they
    went dry fairly quickly. I read 70% for a couple hours, but this morning my humidity was 35%, so right now I don't think the sponges are going to provide enough moisture I put a teaspoon of water in the plastic trough to see if that will keep the humidity where I want it. Temps & humidity will be tough too control right now since the weather outside is still crazy temperature swings ... etc.

6. midget_farms

midget_farms Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I know - its tough to keep everything steady.

But the eggs will be ok if things jump around as long as the temp doesn't spike.

You want them a little dryer for the first 18 days anyway - some of the water in the eggs has to evaporate for there to be air for the chick to breath right at hatch.

But - the last 3 days or so it has to be high or they will stick in the shell - don't ask how I learned this!

In any case - plan on filling all your plastic troughs & sponges & anything else that will fit in there that the new chicks cant fall into (don't ask how I learned that either) & you will be fine.

Good luck!

7. zekii

zekii Songster

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    We'll just my luck the violent storm we had come thru last night caused us too lose power today about 6 hours, the lowest temp recorded in the bator was 56 degrees. This afternoon I have the incubator at 99.5F and 44% humidity so I think I'm getting a handle on regulating this incubator.

8. zekii

zekii Songster

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Performed my 1st candling ever last night....

Candled last night at day 14
    One of the brown eggs was a definite clear, broke it open, egg was fine, probably not fertile.

The other 6 brown eggs had a very dark area near the top of the egg, so I'm hoping these are developing.
    The one green-blue egg I could not see thru with my nine LED light ... so what type of light might work better for these color eggs ?
    Onward we go to lockdown in 4 days.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  9. fanov8

fanov8 Chirping

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    Hi! I just saw your thread, I set my eggs on the 7th. Isn't it an awesome feeling to see that the eggs are developing?! All of my eggs are from EE's so I really can't tell much with them. It's about to drive me absolutely bonkers! Anywho, just wanted to say Hi! Hope you don't mind if I tag along with you!

10. zekii

zekii Songster

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Quote:Jaime,
    Don't mind if you tag along at all [​IMG] ... hope you have a good hatch.
    I'll post my updates on this thread for this my 1st hatch.

Clint

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: