My 1st Southern Coop

Quote:
On the big coop I used metal roofing from Triad Corrugated Metal in Asheboro.
I think for the painted metal roofing, color matched screws, ridge cap, and necessary items it was $150 or less.
They are a great company from what I gather, so I highly recommend them if you can get it from them.

On the little coop I just used one piece of (spell check) Ondura (?) from Lowe's Hardware.
I believe it cost about $20 for a sheet or something I think. Possibly less...I honestly can't remember on one.

Need to update this thing, but haven't done much different, so...

2011-12-17_17-24-59_388.jpg

2011-11-25_16-40-28_879.jpg

Here's a question I've not seen discussed on here: How does your appraisal district tax you on chicken coops?

By the way...I LOVE THAT COOP!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=225006

Above
is an older thread I saw about the issue.
I really think it depends on where you live and what their policies are.
My county only does reevaluation every 6 years, I believe, so nothing had changed. Ours is supposed to be reevaluated by the end of next year, so it would be about 15 months away before I could answer that (if I still live at this location, that is).

Some administrations seem to be much worse than others. A lot of it boils down to I'd it is what they consider a permanent structure, and the like. This may be something you would want to inquire about before building a huge coop, if you're in a tax unfriendly area specifically. Where I live, as common as chickens are and as non-walled as my coop is, it may not even be an issue.

Few months back my coop went up in flames and now I live in area that is not chicken friendly. Love your coop and if I get some new property, I will build something very much like this.

I hate to be critical, but...make sure you paint or waterproof the main house of the coop. The groves in your ply-wood are made to go up and down and I see you have them side to side. Rain will run down those groves, but in this case, they might seep in and make the wood age much quicker. As long as there is a solid coat of out-door paint or waterproofer you should be fine.

Like I said, I love the coop, but as a builder of sorts, I would hate to see water take advantage of your awesome coop

Back
Top Bottom