My 1st Southern Coop

Quote:
Oh yeah!
We've actually been getting 3-4 eggs a day pretty regular for the past handful of weeks, luckily.
The other day, out of the 6 chickens that are probably laying (3 being banties), we got 5 eggs in one day.
Soooo...we've got about 4 cartons of eggs sitting in the fridge already. Need to sell them!

Quote:
I've given some to my folks and have a coworker wanting some.
But I really need to put them up for sale or something. I've already gotten a ton of eggs...and when all the girls get to laying age, we'll probably have AT LEAST a carton of eggs a day the majority of days of the week.

cool.png
Very very nice coop! I enjoyed the process of looking at it's birth so much, that I browsed through it last night, (I was speechless)
tongue.png
and had my very slow dial up take me for another tour just now.

So far, is there anything that you would have done differently? Or should all your admirers just shamelessly copy your design.
lol.png

Quote:
Thanks, we really appreciate the comments.
As far as anything I (Jared) would have done differently...that is really hard to say.
The design of the coop was based upon the location in the back yard and just grew from there.
Because I don't think there is a right design or wrong design most of the time, I can't say I'd do it differently.
But that doesn't mean I couldn't make a completely different design and like it just as much, if not better.

Like I said, the dimensions were based upon the little "nook" between some trees in the back yard.
I wanted half covered, half open so the birds weren't stuck under a ceiling and could enjoy the sun and/or weather.
Door was place where it was because of convenience.

If you have any specific design/build questions, I might be able to answer more directly, but so far there isn't much of anything that I wish I hadn't done or that I feel is significantly lacking.
But there are always additions and/or convenient add-on's that could be made I suppose!

Messed with some little additions for fun inside the big coop...

Hung feeders and waterers
DSCN0138.jpg

Hang out ledge up high
DSCN0110.jpg

Banty/young birds feeder or safety
lol.png

DSCN0108.jpg

Lowered door for the winter months -- with windows closed and such a small opening, I think they are keeping plenty warm!
DSCN0129.jpg

Last edited:
Well, since I've slacked off a ton going through the winter and now it's getting warmer, I should be able to get the "love shack" done here before too long. Hopefully in time to drop some of my breeds or get a hold of a mate or two for individual birds I have for spring and chick-a-mania.

Guess I need to start thinking hard and looking around for mates. Hmm...

Back
Top Bottom