My 1st Southern Coop

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!
I stained/waterproofed every bit of the walls, at least two coats I believe. This is why those boards look a little more cedar-like -- probably the color we used. The overhang of the roof works put pretty well to keep water off, as well. If I remember right, the boards were cut a certain way that didn't allow the grooves to be run vertically. This is a good point for anyone trying to mimic this setup though, you're right.
Personally, I liked the horizontal look, same as your siding, etc. looks.
Don't think I had a choice anyway though, with the dimensions I had already built the house!

For my own, I'd probably make the enclosed area less enclosed than you have but WOWZERS I love your coop! Most do nothing for me, I don't even know why I look, but love yours.

Edited to add: by enclosed area I mean the indoor coop part.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks! I see you're from Houston, and I agree that I would probably open it up a bit more too.
Mainly, it was to almost completely block off any strong air movement while still allowing fresh air to cycle through.
Although they still go out and about when it gets frigid, I did it more for my own conscience than anything (20s and 30s may not sound terrible, but we are a high humidity part of the country...different ballgame! ).

Back
Top Bottom