my 2 week old Chicks is eating POO is this normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OliviaDeHav, Jul 23, 2010.

1. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2010
    One of the chicks is (i think) eating her poo and the others! YUCK [​IMG] I take her out every now and then and have her on the carpet with a towel down to pet her and let her climb on me. Today i had her out with another chick and she poo'd and picked it up immediately! I bonked (gently) it out of her mouth. Then the other little chick poo'd and she tried to get it before it even hit the ground!!! [​IMG] I have 3 5 week olds and when they were younger they'd pick up a piece and seem disgusted, drop it, and wipe their beaks on the sawdust trying to get it off....
    Why is this one bent on picking it up??? I have not seen her eat it, but I'm assuming when i am not there to bonk it out of her mouth she does? I really don't want a poo eating chicken! I had a dog who did that and i had to get that disgusting tasting stuff to put in her food. None of the others are doing this. Will they follow her lead? The poo is a tad runny too....to add to the grossness of it all.... [​IMG]

2. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I know they curiously peck at it but I've never had any that actually ate it.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    It isn't that unusual even in older birds although the older ones may be pecking through it for fly maggots. Only humans think this is yucky.

4. OliviaDeHav

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Yes.... i do.... think it is yucky..... I'd not witnessed any other birds doing what she is. She could at least wait until it hits the ground! [​IMG] And of course this is MY chicken!
    I'm still not sure she is actually eating it. I should probably watch and see, not sure i can stomach that though [​IMG]

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Must be something about chicken poop. My dog and several of my sheep love it! [​IMG]

Sandie

6. OliviaDeHav

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

ok, i won't worry.... i was thinking they might get sick from it.... still [​IMG] ewwwwwwwwwwwww

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by