My 4x4 Coop Is Almost Done ! Pics...See finished coop at the bottom...finished today ! YAY!

A couple of questions(ok a lot of questions!) ... we were thinking of something similar ...
1.Do you have a door for egg collecting? I had a hard time seeing it in the pictures.
2. How do you water and feed each day? Is the access for that through the clean door? Does it need to be refilled every day?
3. How do you attach your run to the coop?
4. Is this stationary or a tractor?
5. What did you use for the roof?
6. What did you use for the floor?
7.Is your ramp attached to the door? What happens when you close the door?

K I think that is all! lol! Thanks!!!!

A couple of questions(ok a lot of questions!) ... we were thinking of something similar ...
1.Do you have a door for egg collecting? I had a hard time seeing it in the pictures.
2. How do you water and feed each day? Is the access for that through the clean door? Does it need to be refilled every day?
3. How do you attach your run to the coop?
4. Is this stationary or a tractor?
5. What did you use for the roof?
6. What did you use for the floor?
7.Is your ramp attached to the door? What happens when you close the door?

K I think that is all! lol! Thanks!!!!

1. Yes, it is on the side where the nesting boxes are.
2. Yes, through the cleaning door on the side ( open in the pic) my feed lasts about 4 days and I change their water every other day. I also have feed and water under the coop.
3. The run is sitting flush to the coop and is not officially attached at the moment. I was thinking of using large hooks/screw eyes but have not done anything as yet.
4. The run can be moved easily, it has a door at each end and is quite light. The coop can be moved by 2 strong people.
5. Plywood, tar paper and now there are shingles on it.
6. Plywood and 12 squares of linoleum ( it was cheap) which I nailed down so it won't move.I calked around the sides.
7. The ramp is not attached to the door, the door opens down and hits the top of the ramp and stops, when I close it I hook it shut.
I designed both the run and coop myself, I just came up with something i thought would work for me.
The only thing I wish I had done and am going to eventually change, is, making access ( a small door) under the coop so I can access the feed and water under there. I have my son go in through the end of the run when I need to change it, So far, it had stayed full and pretty clean ( unlike the ones inside the coop) for 4-5 days.
I have been locking them up at night, they all go in around 8:30 and I just go shut the door. I now see why everyone loves their automatic door openers ! Can't afford one so I'll just keep opening and closing mine!
Hope that helps you out. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

what kind of dog is sitting under the coop in one of the first pictures? Looks like my brittany. Nice coop! I like your PVC run. Where did you get all your fittings?

Last edited:
So people really use remote control doors? I guess I need to look into that! Are they remote controlled or just automatic?

Yes they do, I guess they are either electric or battery operated, not remote as far as I know ( but then, I don't know much...)

what kind of dog is sitting under the coop in one of the first pictures? Looks like my brittany. Nice coop! I like your PVC run. Where did you get all your fittings?

That is Tater Tot , my Rat Terrier inspecting the coop ....I used to have a Brittany years ago, I loved that dog ! Thanks and I got everything at Lowes..they have packages of 10 fittings much cheaper and I just bought cheap pvc glue and borrowed my friends PVC cutter ( A genuine lifesaver and must have!!). We built the whole run in a few hours and another 2 hrs to get the wire on. The whole thing only cost about $90 I think. Maybe less....

Last edited:
Just wondering, I am interested in building a chicken coop but I really do not have much experience at carpentry and not very technically sound at building things. I have recently went to a website called DIY.com and looked into purchasing the building guide that is for sale on this web site. It list for almost forty dollars. Just wondering if you had heard anybody who has used this book to build a chicken coop and if so was it fairly easy and a quality coop when finished?

Just wondering, I am interested in building a chicken coop but I really do not have much experience at carpentry and not very technically sound at building things. I have recently went to a website called DIY.com and looked into purchasing the building guide that is for sale on this web site. It list for almost forty dollars. Just wondering if you had heard anybody who has used this book to build a chicken coop and if so was it fairly easy and a quality coop when finished?

My husband has referred to that site for several projects and also gotten tips from friends, we are not builders either. Don't know of anyone with the book or guide. You can get a lot of good info on those building sites, they even have videos.
As for my coop, whether it will withstand a hurricane? I don't know yet
tongue.png
I guess I'll find out !
I think it came out nicely and is not an eye sore or anything. I could add trim ( I might) and a few cosmetic upgrades along the way. It is very sturdy and we used wood screws not nails to make it a bit extra secure. Overall, I am very pleased with it. It is simple but very functional.
D.gif

I would try your local library for books on building coops. That is free! I am not so handy either so if my dh was not building it I would be buying one!

Back
Top Bottom