My 6 hens don't roost!

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
None of my 6 white rocks roost, 4 of them just lay on the shavings on the floor, 1 in a nest box and one under the nest box. I bought these hens as adults that were outdoor birds with no coop, could that be the reason why they don't roost...
idunno.gif

How long have you had them? If you haven't had them long maybe they just need to learn where to roost...

Is your roost wide (2"x4"--with the 4" for them to sit on) or is it narrow and round? I have read that they need wider roosts.

Try moving them to the roost, after dark for a few days. My two EE wanted to sleep in the nest box after about two weeks they moved themselves to the roost..

Mine aren't roosting either. I have RIR, Buff Orp, Bl Aus, EE. The Buff Orp roosts a little, but the rest just hop up for a second to check it out. Mine prefer the bedding during the day and a shelf at night. I have a round roost about 2" in diameter and a 2" X 2" square roost.

Do you have other chickens? If so it could be the "just moving in and I have to be the bottom of the pecking order" that keeps them away. I know with my younger hens they would sleep under the roost floor for quite a while until they finally got brave enough to move up with the big girls.

caf.gif
hmmmm maybe they dont approve of the roost... or maybe they just need the roost to be pointed out to them at night.

I would put one up there right at the time they normally roost. That way they all see one up there.. even if she jumps down that night they will investigate the next day I bet.

hu.gif
2x4 is better... just easier to balance and also keep the feet warm in the cold weather. I use a 1x4 but they sit on the 4 inch side
smile.png

Last edited:
None of my hens have ever roosted. It seems to have started with the BOs, then the bluebelle copied them, and now I have a black australorp and two orpington/cochin crosses and no-one has ever used the perch. It just got in the way so my husband took it out. They clearly prefer the nestboxes and floor, and I don't mind removing the poop every morning, so I don't have a problem with it!

If there is no rooster, they need to be shown how...
My hens did the same thing for almost a year after I got them, only half way through the winter when the rooster started to roost did they finaly get up there, and now only one hen is sitting on the shelf at night
smile.png

goodluck, the floor can be dangerous at night if coop doors arent closed, please take precausions
IMO

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom