My 9 - 10 month Bourbon Red gobbler just died suddenly. Anyone know what it may have been?

chickenlady08

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
We have had him for about 6 weeks (along with 2 white turkeys) Tommy was fine and then all of a sudden yesterday he was sluggish and stayed in the coop all day. We gave him food and water close by him so he wouldn't have to go far. this morning same thing very sluggish and then when I get home from work he is dead. He must have died earlier today because he is stiff.

Does anyone know what it could be? I am so sad right now I can barely see to type this

Lisa

That's terrible! I am so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
I'm still new to turkeys myself so I have no idea what could have happened. Perhaps he got into something he shouldn't have? I don't know but hopefully someone will come along who has more insight to help you.

So sorry for your loss! I have not enough experience with turkey problems to help you but I wanted to express condolences.
hugs.gif

is his skin yellow? our chicken died of yellow skin & my mother thinks it was a liver problem. other than that it could've been a growth problem... i'm sorry i couldn't help you much more...could you give me more details? height, weight, personality, what you feed them?

He was happy and what I assumed to be healthy. I have only had them for about 8 weeks or so. I had to take one of the others to the vet for foot problems and she had to have surgery on the foot. The white ones have also had sinus issues and my Bourbon has seem just fine. They eat chicken food (grower finisher) and I also give corn out as treats and whatever else I give my chickens they eat as well.

His skin was yellow it looked like it has always looked and that is hard to explain. His weight was good, I would say approx 20 lbs +/-. His face always looked clear and his head was the color it had always been, red.

I am 5 ft 7 and he came up past my knees just a bit with his head, his feet looked fine. I see no bites, cuts or tears in his skin. He would always come over to me each and everytime I go out there. He followed me around. But I wasn't able to pet him or pick him up easily. He free ranged all day and was locked up at night with the others. No runny nose his breathing seemed just fine.

I brought my other one in the garage with the hen that had foot surgery on 2-21.

Thank you all for you nice words, it means so much and noone understands our loss except fellow critter lovers.

Back
Top Bottom