My 9yr old built himself a bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by saddina, Jun 11, 2009.

1. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Dad helped him with the heavy lifting, and we told him he could scavenge whatever he'd like in the house. He found the fish tank bator and went from there, I'm checking temps for him tonight, but it should be good to go tomorrow. I'll post pics tomorrow (1 AM here), but so far it's at 88 deg. [​IMG]

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    wow! That is great! He will have to enter it in the science fair at his school when they have one!! I can't wait to see what he hatches!!! YAY!! Way to go little guy!![​IMG]

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Only thing bad about fish tanks is no air circulation....

4. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    I hope it all goes well - Ever see a Dome incubator one of the cheap ones ? they use foil covering to keep the temp if it stays low you may want to try something like that --- Always good to parents actually getting their kids involved --

5. IggiMom

IggiMom Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I think that is really swell.[​IMG]

Catherine

6. taraann81

taraann81 Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    That is sooo great. Good for him and good for his supportive, encouraging parents!

This could also be a GREAT science project if he enjoys it!

7. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I might be able to donate some eggs to this science project..... quail eggs that is muahahhahahahahahhahahah come over to the dark side.....

8. catwalk

catwalk Songster

May 19, 2009
    I hope your kid's bator goes well. I can just see him out by the road in a month sitting behind a converted lemonade stand screaming "chicks for sale!" [​IMG]

9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Air flow is pumped in via an air stone. We had to tweak the heat setting somewhat and we're doing a second test this AM. Since we're in SoCal the countertop can heat to 99 during the day, so we're working on controling the temp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: