My Accidental Silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bookspryte, May 1, 2011.

1. Bookspryte

Bookspryte Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    To avoid having to pay shipping charges or worrying about picking up chicks from the post office, I ordered 10 barred rock chicks and 10 black bantam cochins from my local feed mill. They ordered from Cackle.

When I picked got my chicks home and looked at them closely, I realized my bantam cochins had black beaks, black feet with five toes and were fluffier than the BR. I realized somehow I'd received silkies by mistake. I called the feed mill Saturday morning and they confirmed that the invoice indeed said Cackle and the only person who had ordered silkies had ordered 5 white ones.

To make a long story short, I'm now the proud owner of 8 silkies (2 have died since Friday). I'm not sure what Cackle will do with the mix up. I still want my cochins, but I'm now worried about keeping the other 8 silkies alive. They seem so delicate compared to any other chicks I've raised. I'm having pasty butt issues with 2 of them, but I need to know what other challenges these guys will face.

I never would have purchased silkies, but now that I have them, their little fuzzy faces are starting to grow on me.

I'd appreciate any advice from silkie owners/lovers so I can keep these fuzzy guys happy and healthy.

Denise

Edited to add picture:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    I'd take them! No, I already have 2!

I don't have any issues with bullying in my brooder, and I treat them the same way as all the others. However, (i haven't gotten here yet) I heard that when they are older, the other hens may pick on the silkies. But many find success with pinless peepers.

Good Luck!!!!!

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  3. Bookspryte

May 18, 2009
    I moved the silkies to another brooder Saturday morning because they seemed cold in the larger brooder. They just kept huddled together. Already they seem more active.

I already have 2 anti-social hens who don't think they're supposed to associate with chickens. I'm gonna end up with a bunch of coops to accommodate my prima dona chickens. [​IMG]

Now that I have accidental silkies, I'll need to plan and build another coop. Oh, darn. [​IMG]

4. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    Cute, cute! They look like mine! 'Cept mine are grey.

5. gypsymoonfarm

gypsymoonfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    I had issues with pasty butt so I shaved my chicks' vents last year and this year. A #40 blade just around it has solved the problem.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I got an accidental silkie x ? in my last batch of chicks too. I didn't notice the toes and skin until I got them home. I had been worried about her because she is so small compared to the others (about 1/2 the size) but she seems to be the boldest of the bunch. She actually pulls food out of the other chicks' beaks. [​IMG] I think she is going to do just fine.

Keep their vents clean and put a dish of sand in the brooder. The pasty butt should should clear up quickly. [​IMG]

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    My silkies aren't delicate at all. [​IMG] Give them a couple days to recover from shipping, they'll be fine. [​IMG]

8. karenhs2

karenhs2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    We have 10 silkies currently 3-4 weeks old. We had one incidence of pasty butt and used a suggestion found on here to put a bit of raw apple cider vinegar in their water (I used a half teaspoon in the small chick size waterer) and didn't have any more. We gently cleaned the one with warm water.

9. Bookspryte

May 18, 2009
    I found my third dead chick this morning. It's getting frustrated because the 10 BR in the other brooder are doing fine. I checked last night and think I've gotten ahead of the pasty butt issue [​IMG]. These little guys just seem much more insubstantial than any other chicks I've had.

When I picked them up at the store, they didn't have them under heat. I'm sure getting chilled didn't help them. Keeping my fingers crossed that the last 7 make it.

The funny thing is my husband's response to silkies has always been "I hate silkies," yet he beat me to the brooder this morning to check on them. I wonder how long it will be before I come home and see a chick or two sitting on "Daddy's" lap. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by