My aggressive Wheaten Maran

jshomeopathy

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 10, 2014
I have a very lovely wheaten maran who I used to love because she followed me around like a dog would:) Now she has taken to terrorizing the other hens (who are all bantams). One in particular...she jumps on top of her and pecks feathers out of her head. Another chicken steps in to help but it is very stressful to watch. She also rarely lays any eggs. I would get rid of her if my daughter wasn't so attached. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

I would be careful, she could kill the bantam chickens, that's why I keep my large and Bantam in separate pens, do you have any roosters, they do keep hen bullying down. Sorry not much help.

Do you have a cock bird?
If no male present and hen can take on that role,
she may be trying to dominate, mate or the picked on bird may be ill and she is trying to eliminate a 'weak link'.

Isolate the aggressive bird for a week or so in an adjacent pen then try re-integrating, might take her down a notch in the pecking order.

Thank-you for your reply....she seems to have calmed down but it is a good reminder for future flock building to get all the same size birds!

Back
Top Bottom