My alpaca gave birth and cria appeared dead

Daniel20

In the Brooder
May 4, 2021
this morning I was doing my morning chores, and I walked by my alpacas and I saw that she gave birth, but when I saw the cria was dead :(. It appeared premature. It had little to no wool, and it was kind of see through, you could see it’s veins. The cria was also really small. I don’t know if that is a premature cria? The mom didn’t show any signs of being pregnant. Does anyone know that reasons for premature crías? Could it be the heat?

thank you

Premature births happen in all species. They can be caused by any number of reasons and most of the time you will never know. It could be from a blow or injury to the mother. It could be from a bacterial infection of some sort. It could be from a mistake in development of the fetus. I am sorry for your loss.

Premature births happen in all species. They can be caused by any number of reasons and most of the time you will never know. It could be from a blow or injury to the mother. It could be from a bacterial infection of some sort. It could be from a mistake in development of the fetus. I am sorry for your loss.
Aren't alpacas 'known' to carry syphilis? Or is that a different species? I know that causes preterm labor a lot in whatever species it is

Aren't alpacas 'known' to carry syphilis? Or is that a different species? I know that causes preterm labor a lot in whatever species it is
I think syphilis is species specific to humans. I have never heard of anything else having it. There are sexually transmitted diseases that affect livestock, chlamydia for one, but if that was the case there would be a number of premature births in the herd.

I think syphilis is species specific to humans. I have never heard of anything else having it. There are sexually transmitted diseases that affect livestock, chlamydia for one, but if that was the case there would be a number of premature births in the herd.
Oh, yeah, my bad, I was probably thinking of chlamydia

Rabbits can have it.

this morning I was doing my morning chores, and I walked by my alpacas and I saw that she gave birth, but when I saw the cria was dead :(. It appeared premature. It had little to no wool, and it was kind of see through, you could see it’s veins. The cria was also really small. I don’t know if that is a premature cria? The mom didn’t show any signs of being pregnant. Does anyone know that reasons for premature crías? Could it be the heat?

thank you
I'm sorry for your loss :hugs

Rabbits can have it.
It may be called syphilis but I would be willing to bet it is not caused by the same organism that causes syphilis in humans. Just like polio in goats and cattle is not the same as polio in humans. Just for the record, polio in goats and other ruminants is caused by a thiamine deficiency. I have no idea why it is called polio.

Back
Top Bottom