My Ameraucanas (?)

@Lacy Duckwing and @JustBabyMargo have lots of experience with crossbeaks, maybe they can offer some advice for you and Beaky!
I looked through this thread. The crossbeak (Beaky) looks like a severe case. She's a case I'd say to tube feed with. For more information on tube feeding, check this article out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...kens-including-tube-feeding-techniques.64321/
I also suggest trimming her beak once every two (to four) weeks. For my crossbeak, I use a regular Emery board nail file to file her beak down. (Be careful not to file into the quick!) Hopefully this is all helpful to you and Beaky. :)

Somehow, everytime I get a big wall of text just about ready to post, I hit the back button on my phone, which is also the one that hides the keyboard so I can proof-read. Ugh!

Thanks for the info and the article link. I am so scared to try both tube feeding and break trimming. 😳

So far, Beaky spends a lot of time inside, in a crate where she can eat all she wants. I just give her a mostly full jug of food because it's the only thing I've found so far that she doesn't just scatter the food with her beak or kick it all out. When she's lonely and bored, she yells and I go check on her and take her back out with the rest if she acts done.

I'm expecting a call back from a local vet that treats avians. I'm hoping they can give me options or maybe show me hands-on how to tube feed her.

Also, I give her treats here and there, but I have to place it just right for her to get it in her mouth. I feel like she should also know the joys of a nommy bug, like everyone else. 🥴

Last edited:
Somehow, everytime I get a big wall of text just about ready to post, I hit the back button on my phone, which is also the one that hides the keyboard so I can proof-read. Ugh!

Thanks for the info and the article link. I am so scared to try both tube feeding and break trimming. 😳

So far, Beaky spends a lot of time inside, in a crate where she can eat all she wants. I just give her a mostly full jug of food because it's the only thing I've found so far that she doesn't just scatter the food with her beak or kick it all out. When she's lonely and bored, she yells and I go check on her and take her back out with the rest if she acts done.

I'm expecting a call back from a local vet that treats avians. I'm hoping they can give me options or maybe show me hands-on how to tube feed her.

Also, I give her treats here and there, but I have to place it just right for her to get it in her mouth. I feel like she should also know the joys of a nommy bug, like everyone else. 🥴
On the beak trimming, if you're filing her beak down with an Emery board nail file, it's easier and safer than trimming with nail clippers. You'll want to wrap her up so she doesn't move and hold her head gently while you file. (With my crossbeak, she's so used to this by now, I don't even need to wrap her up anymore.)

On the tube feeding, I completely understand. I don't know if I'd ever be able to do that (though plenty of people do). If she's managing eating out of the jug, she might be fine. If you haven't already, provide her with a deep water dish too. ;)

As far as the vet, the best they might be able to suggest is surgery. I've heard that a crossbeak can have surgery to get their beaks fixed, though I've never talked to anyone or seen anyone on BYC who has done this. They might be able to help show you the tube feeding though. If you don't mind, let us know how it all turns out.

Good news! I finally got Beaky to give goopy-wet-food a real try. After a few exploratory tries, and having no other option, she decided she liked it. Needless to say, she had a bath afterwards, but she was overdue anyway.

For the first time in a long time she has a full-feeling crop and acts like a contented (yet soggy) little birbie, melting in the sun. 🥹

20230708_104408.jpg
20230708_104739.jpg

Last edited:
Good news! I finally got Beaky to give goopy-wet-food a real try. After a few exploratory tries, and having no other option, she decided she liked it. Needless to say, she had a bath afterwards, but she was overdue anyway.

For the first time in a long time she has a full-feeling crop and acts like a contented (yet soggy) little birbie, melting in the sun. 🥹

View attachment 3570417View attachment 3570418
What a sweetheart! :love

She started yelling at me when I went outside, so I brought her in and made up some more goop. She got her fill much quicker and went back outside to bask in the sun some more. Today is a good day: she's happy and I'm proud.

I don't usually get so happy that I want to cry, but today is one of those days.

Back
Top Bottom