my ancona ducks

I let the ducks into the garden to trample around for a bit and destroy stuff. I also let the ducklings take a swim since it has been super warm out. I fiddled with the worm bin and let the ducks murder some worms and they really appreciated the gesture

Attachments

• IMG_20230510_120852611.jpg
    IMG_20230510_120852611.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230510_122627040.jpg
    IMG_20230510_122627040.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 6
The ducklings are starting to make the occasional clucking sound. I sold a drake so I just have one now. It seems the drake was destined for soup. This ducklings are his. The ducklings where booted outside yesterday. My house is now free of the little stench beasts. I gave them a heat lamp so they had someplace warm. The lows are in the 50's (f) I also blocked of part of the run so they have their own little space. They look to be fine this morning.

my ducklings have their adult voices. I have two hens and four drakes. My old drake is still separated because of his behaviour. I sold three old hens and they look very happy in their new home. The new owner has a pond for them to play in. They wanted a few more hens to balance their sex ratio. I am going to attempt to sell the 4 baby drakes and if not duck soup. We kept our little runty duck pancake. she is 3 this year. They did manage to escape and destroy my water feature last week.

I gave two of the drakes away and just today butchered the other two. They where starting to become wretched creatures. In the words of the queen of hearts off with their heads. The little hens just started laying eggs and I have two small green eggs now. I planted my fall garden a week or two ago and its starting to sprout the ducks lust over it.

This is bubbles she is suck a pretty little duck
20230913_163433.jpg

These are the three hens I have now
20230915_152648.jpg

And here are two eggs I got today. I didn't see any yesterday but I just glanced. Hopefully one is from each baby hen
20230915_152722.jpg

I was out in my yard moving plants around. I started a strawberry patch and put a few remaining runners around my baby apple tree. I am hoping they start growing all over the duck yard. I also put a thornless trailing blackberry up there and moved two perenial kale plants with chicken wire collars up. I do not care for the taste of those particular cultivars so they are now the ducks kale. I also fixed my garbage fence as the ducks where escaping and tipping over my onions as a new favorite pastime.

I'm glad people are enjoying the ducks. I have had one hen that started laying in the fall and laid all winter. She is the only blue egg layer I have right now. Next year I will hatch some of her eggs as she is a very good layer. all of the girls are laying for the year again. I have also gone down to Oregon and bought some nice chocolate ducklings as I wanted that colour. I have four that are 4 days old. Very cute. I am hoping for two hens. If i get a drake and he is not miserable I will keep him and then hatch sex link ducklings next year.

Back
Top Bottom