My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

Pics
Ummm... I beg to differ. The time you have spent researching feed must be many, many hours. Then you graciously share that info and help others figure their feed questions, at length.

That is very kind and giving.
Hear Hear! Don't worry @U_Stormcrow we won't tell anyone. I know you have a reputation to uphold. :p

Ummm... I beg to differ. The time you have spent researching feed must be many, many hours. Then you graciously share that info and help others figure their feed questions, at length.

That is very kind and giving.
My last comment, so as not to hijack.

Its entirely possible that I do so simply to massage my ego? The one which requires double doors on a building so i can bring it in with me???

Now. Back to @Tre3hugger 's birds. I'm looking forward to seeing the next generation.

I have the same birds both NH and Dels... if you ordered them both from FR Hatchery then they are both of Henry Nolls line... I talked with Henry over a year ago about doing this exact thing with breeding.... I just wasn't set up to take on the NH at that time, now I have set up to see how it works out.. His Dels breed back great... I have my second generation on the ground and they growing out great... Henry was very specific on the NH diets to get them to breed back or they get too big and fat... He stated that they need to be grown out same as you would traditional broiler breeders, a restricted 3 part diet... Starter, grower and breeder and they have to be rationed off at a strict amount to keep their growth rates down... He said if one was to feed them same as a broiler they will get too big too fast and never make good breeding stock, because once they get too big hard or impossible to get them back down in weight... one still is shooting for standard bred NH weights in their breeding stock... which is like 8lbs and 6lbs... Im very interested in how yours will work out... Subscribed and anxiously waiting

I have the same birds both NH and Dels... if you ordered them both from FR Hatchery then they are both of Henry Nolls line... I talked with Henry over a year ago about doing this exact thing with breeding.... I just wasn't set up to take on the NH at that time, now I have set up to see how it works out.. His Dels breed back great... I have my second generation on the ground and they growing out great... Henry was very specific on the NH diets to get them to breed back or they get too big and fat... He stated that they need to be grown out same as you would traditional broiler breeders, a restricted 3 part diet... Starter, grower and breeder and they have to be rationed off at a strict amount to keep their growth rates down... He said if one was to feed them same as a broiler they will get too big too fast and never make good breeding stock, because once they get too big hard or impossible to get them back down in weight... one still is shooting for standard bred NH weights in their breeding stock... which is like 8lbs and 6lbs... Im very interested in how yours will work out... Subscribed and anxiously waiting
Thank you so much for that informative insight.

Got some pictures of the heritage birds today. They are about 19 weeks old and oh so beautiful! I am truly taken with them, especially the New Hampshire red roosters. Very regal, and just "roostery". It was raining today so they look a bit scraggly but here are the pics none the less.

The two NHR boys. They one in the foreground is very near standard as far as I can tell. There names are John Crowtrane (front) and Thelonious Cluck!
20211206_100254.jpg

Thelonious Cluck
20211206_100206.jpg

They both get around really well. I have not limited feed, but I never really find them lazing by the feeders. I am hoping they will be in prime breeding shape come spring. They have both started crowing, a laughably low trombone like cry, but usially my OG rooster shuts that down pretty quick. There have been a couple "crow-offs" with Rupaul taking the title every time.
Lastly the Delaware rooster. He is smaller and kind of on the bottom of my 4 rooster totem pole, but he does ok. Not sure on a name for him. Any ideas in the jazz theme? (Now named Nat King Crow!)
20211206_100951.jpg

Here are some of the girls hanging out. They are very docile and pretty, and have taken to communing in the brush around the chicken pasture.
20211206_100310.jpg

All in all I have 2 NHR cockerels, 1 Delaware cockerel, 3 NHR pullets and 3 Delaware pullets as part of this Heritage breeding project. Hopefully everyone survives the hawks during the next couple of lean months. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Completely agree - those NHR scream "classic chicken". Great looking examples of the breed. No naming ideas for your Delaware, and not a big jazz fan. Sorry. Apart from some Si Zentner on vinyl, never really got into brass.

His "Peter Gunn theme" rendition was damned good though (That's the Mancini - can't find Si's version).

Back
Top Bottom