My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Ummm... I beg to differ. The time you have spent researching feed must be many, many hours. Then you graciously share that info and help others figure their feed questions, at length.

That is very kind and giving.
Hear Hear! Don't worry @U_Stormcrow we won't tell anyone. I know you have a reputation to uphold. :p

U_Stormcrow

Free Ranging
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
Ummm... I beg to differ. The time you have spent researching feed must be many, many hours. Then you graciously share that info and help others figure their feed questions, at length.

That is very kind and giving.
My last comment, so as not to hijack.

Its entirely possible that I do so simply to massage my ego? The one which requires double doors on a building so i can bring it in with me???

Now. Back to @Tre3hugger 's birds. I'm looking forward to seeing the next generation.

Harp_Acres

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2020
W. Washington
I have the same birds both NH and Dels... if you ordered them both from FR Hatchery then they are both of Henry Nolls line... I talked with Henry over a year ago about doing this exact thing with breeding.... I just wasn't set up to take on the NH at that time, now I have set up to see how it works out.. His Dels breed back great... I have my second generation on the ground and they growing out great... Henry was very specific on the NH diets to get them to breed back or they get too big and fat... He stated that they need to be grown out same as you would traditional broiler breeders, a restricted 3 part diet... Starter, grower and breeder and they have to be rationed off at a strict amount to keep their growth rates down... He said if one was to feed them same as a broiler they will get too big too fast and never make good breeding stock, because once they get too big hard or impossible to get them back down in weight... one still is shooting for standard bred NH weights in their breeding stock... which is like 8lbs and 6lbs... Im very interested in how yours will work out... Subscribed and anxiously waiting

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
I have the same birds both NH and Dels... if you ordered them both from FR Hatchery then they are both of Henry Nolls line... I talked with Henry over a year ago about doing this exact thing with breeding.... I just wasn't set up to take on the NH at that time, now I have set up to see how it works out.. His Dels breed back great... I have my second generation on the ground and they growing out great... Henry was very specific on the NH diets to get them to breed back or they get too big and fat... He stated that they need to be grown out same as you would traditional broiler breeders, a restricted 3 part diet... Starter, grower and breeder and they have to be rationed off at a strict amount to keep their growth rates down... He said if one was to feed them same as a broiler they will get too big too fast and never make good breeding stock, because once they get too big hard or impossible to get them back down in weight... one still is shooting for standard bred NH weights in their breeding stock... which is like 8lbs and 6lbs... Im very interested in how yours will work out... Subscribed and anxiously waiting
Thank you so much for that informative insight.

Top Bottom