My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

Pics
Might need to get a NH rooster chick off you. My grow out pen for my project birds got hit last night by a coon. Both rooster chicks are gone. A sold chick is ate and 2 marked project females. :mad::mad:
I saw the gap in their pen too. Was going to fix it today.
That is an INSANE coincidence. My meatie (SL boys) grow out also got hit by a coon last night! SOB penetrated my electrified perimeter and got through the mesh of the tractor. Admittedly, it was not HWC. I think he dropped down form the branches like a Ninja! He managed to kill 3 before I heard my birds yelling and got out there. Luckily those were all due for the table anyway, but it still hurts. They are my first batch of home bred meaties, and were just a cpl ish weeks form processing.

Let me know if you would like a male. If you want to make the trip and pick him up there'll be no charge for the bird. I have 20 eggs in the bator now (7ish NHs, set yesterday) and plan on hatching one more batch of Heritage after that. Just let me know anytime

Did a head count. Lost all but 1 marked male who was already slated for the meat pen. And they killed the 2 best project females. Left with 2 females for the project and 1 is iffy, might be male. Bastard. Did this to me last year, Right about POL. Wiped out my breeding stock. AGAIN.
Might set something up later to run out your way. Was going to try and hit the coast with the camper this year.

Did a head count. Lost all but 1 marked male who was already slated for the meat pen. And they killed the 2 best project females. Left with 2 females for the project and 1 is iffy, might be male. Bastard. Did this to me last year, Right about POL. Wiped out my breeding stock. AGAIN.
Might set something up later to run out your way. Was going to try and hit the coast with the camper this year.
Sorry for your losses bud. Keep your head up!

Sorry for your losses.
Coons are bad around here too but I have been eliminating them. In 2 yrs I gotten 71 and a bunch of possums.
Appreciate the condolences. Dannggg 71 coons in 2 years! That is nuts. I live in the middle of a state forest. I know they are plentiful here, so try to build very secure night coops, or use electric netting or both to combat them and up until now it has worked well. I recently moved it to an area with more trees and I think the coon dropped from above. A tough lesson that cost me 3 birds.
Question, what is your go to raccoon eliminating implement?

Back
Top Bottom