My Australorp is having trouble breathing! UPDATED

Chickiebaby8

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Kentucky
1) What type of bird Australorp, 6 months old
2) What is the behavior, exactly--stand still a lot, lower eye lid closed, beak open, rattling sound when breathing.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Two days
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. We just got her from another farm. She is in quarantine.
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She is eating and drinking.
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop and vent look normal.
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? We gave her antibiotic in her water and she perked up. We also gave her some in a dropper right into her beak and she stopped "beak breathing" for a long time.
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I hope to fix her myself.
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use Nice house, fresh bedding, plenty of roost poles.

Last edited:
How is your hen doing now? How hot is where you are? What type of bedding are you using (ie...pine, cedar, straw)? Do you have good ventilation in your coop?

She died.

I didn't know what to do. I gave her some antibiotics and lots of food. She was eating and and looked like she was better. Tonight when all of the chickens went to roost, she was outside again. I took her inside and was going to isolate her again but came back and she was gone. I am really upset.
hit.gif

Thank you. That means a lot. My husband is away for the weekend working on a construction project so I couldn't even call him. I am still crying. She was so sweet.
She had no symptoms except she was rattling and looked like she was choking or retching. I am so afraid the whole flock will get sick.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom