1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My babies are here!!!! - First time chicken owner!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BackyardBirds720, Jul 15, 2008.

1. BackyardBirds720

BackyardBirds720 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    North Central Florida
    Hello,

So I had to let my joy be known!

I got in the mail today chickens - the post office for my town called up and was kind of laughing since I guess they don't get many chickens mail order.

None the less I ordered from Cackle, and they came a day earlier than expected - but all is going well. I ordered 15 and have ended up with 16. Seven Australorp pullets, Six Buff Orpington pullets, and Three Buff Orpington Cockerels.

They are abosolutly adorable. We got a green tote, thermostate, some paper towels, a feeder, 20% chick feed. We sprinkeled the feed around and tommorow will put it in the hopper thingy.

But I will post pics soon they are so cute! Orps are all yellow, and the Aussies are black and yellow. And I am impressed with Cackle.

So happy!,
    Craig

2. villnave

villnave Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2008
    Congrats! You are now considered a "mommy"! I hatched chicks out from my two goofy Silkies![​IMG]

3. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Welcome to BYC.
    Sure has been a lot of folks from central Florida today.
    When mine came in the post office called me and said "We have a bunch of hot chicks waiting here for you"
    Good luck.

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    [​IMG] Yay for you and your new [​IMG]

5. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    "We have a bunch of hot chicks waiting here for you"

A PO with a sense of humor. Nice!

Congratulations on your new babies - post pics! [​IMG]

6. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Yayy! Congratulations and good luck! I'm expecting, too. 4 chickies next Tuesday from My Pet chicken: a RIR, a Golden laced Wyandotte, a Barred Plymoth Rock and a Red Sex-Linked, all girlies, since roosters aren't allowed in the city I live in. Keep us posted!

7. chicken quartet

chicken quartet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    How exciting!! I am expecting 9 chicks on Thursday, they should be shipped out tomorrow. I was on the phone with Ideal today, because they ended up charging my ATM card twice! She mentioned they were really busy today with the hatch. When I hung up, I realized... my new babies were hatching!! I hope they arrive ok. Anyway, they took off the double charge so all is well. I'm just dying to get my chicks! The wait is KILLING me!! [​IMG]

8. BackyardBirds720

BackyardBirds720 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    North Central Florida
    One of my Buff Orp pullets passed away. She was too stressed I am guessing...

I quarenteened her, and gave her a heat source, water, food, and oatmeal. But she would have none of it. It's sad to loose one...

I am now 15 for 16 and two days into it.

9. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Congratulations on 15, hang in there , the first 24 to 48 hours are the toughest but it gets alot better and real quick too. Enjoy those babies and you know the rules---- if you tell us you have babies, you must share pics too! Trudy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by