My babies sleep inside at night.....

kimboolah

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Northwoods of Wisconsin
But during the day they live outside in their yard (fenced). They have access to a heat lamp inside their coop. The temp is anywhere from 45-70 during the day, colder at night, so that's why they have a brooder inside, too. Is it bad for them to be in the coop during the day? Later in the summer (when it is consistantly warm) I want them to stay outside all day and only be in the coop at night--is this the correct way for them to live? Right now they are feathered out nicely, but still have downy puff on their heads.

I am new to this and totally enjoy reading/learning all you have to share. I have 9 assorted pullets and live in northern Wisconsin.

Kimberly

welcome-byc.gif

Hello, and welcome to the forum, from another N'rn Wisconsinite (Mercer).

It's fine for them to be in the coop during the day. They'll need access to it to lay their eggs in the nest boxes. Otherwise, you'll have to hunt down the eggs every day.

And, in winter, they'll spend nearly all their time in the coop. This was our first winter with chooks. We didn't open the door to the run unless the temperature was above 25.

There's a Cheesehead thread HERE. Be sure to say hi there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom