My baby pigeons are dying

i will go to pet smart thank you . Also how do i get them to leave and come back? i dont want them to just chill on top of the aviary i built because of cats i read some where they chill at the aviary till is winter and they leave , migrate and come back or just come back for the nite because pigeons are communal.

Last edited:
You should be able to buy pigeon food at any feed store.
In a perfect world yes. I for one am not that lucky in my area. I feed my pigeons mostly egg layer pellets which they do fine on coupled with a corn mix and an occasional other grain and shelled unsalted peanuts as a treat only.
This is what a good pigeon mix would look like.

Pigeon Feed.jpg

Amerikaner, post: 21251537, member: 537665"]i read some where they chill at the aviary till is winter and they leave , migrate and come back or just come back for the nite because pigeons are communal
You have feral pigeons, which for most part are homing pigeons. They will not migrate on you. They will loft fly, and return to their loft. Their home. They may not necessarily be anxious to fly at this moment. Eventually they will do some flying. You may want to do some modifying to to loft.
There are 2 other very active threads about pigeons here. I invite you to go to each, and scan/read the information there. You can see how others have set up their lofts.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pigeon-talk.1276029/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pigeon-bulletin-board.1174207/[/QUOTE]

In a perfect world yes. I for one am not that lucky in my area. I feed my pigeons mostly egg layer pellets which they do fine on coupled with a corn mix and an occasional other grain and shelled unsalted peanuts as a treat only.
This is what a good pigeon mix would look like.

View attachment 1744968
That picture is what I remember. It has been many moons since I have raised pigeons. If I had pigeons now and couldn't find pigeon food, I would do some research and find out what a good mix would be, buy the individual grains, and mix it up myself.

I have raised a couple orphan pigeons and looking online a great mix is dried cat food dishes in water until soft, whip cream, an egg, and a few pieces of dry oatmeal mixed together, it gives all the nutrients the baby needs and have you checked their crops, are they always full? If not I’d try to orphan them in and the food mix may have something to do with the lack of nutrients

If squabs are dying at the age they are chasing the parents begging for food it may be worms. If the crop is full of worms the squabs feel full and don't beg causing them to starve.

Back
Top Bottom