my baker's dozen of lavender cuckoo orpingtons

My pullet that was sick this morning is about the same. She continues to eat so I am cautiously hopeful. Another pullet has come down with leg paralysis and they are both in a box in my bathtub. The research I did seems to indicate if we can get through the next 48 hrs they should survive.
They always hated this feed and I should have known it was 'off'.

It apparently has been bouncing around it my subconscious that something was off...I think with a moldy feed problem you are more likely to be dealing with a fungal toxin rather than botulism. The bacteria that cause botulism require an oxygen-free (anaerobic) medium to grow, which is why it is such a concern with canned foods.

With chicken feed, however, mycotoxins produced by Aspergillus, Fusarium, and Penicillium spp. of fungus are relatively common...especially Aflatoxin. Aflatoxin mainly attacks the liver and it's the liver damage which then gives you the neurologic signs and general weakness. Treatment is mainly supportive: remove the affected feed, supplement with vitamins incl selenium, and increase their protein intake by at least 1% temporarily.

It apparently has been bouncing around it my subconscious that something was off...I think with a moldy feed problem you are more likely to be dealing with a fungal toxin rather than botulism. The bacteria that cause botulism require an oxygen-free (anaerobic) medium to grow, which is why it is such a concern with canned foods.

With chicken feed, however, mycotoxins produced by Aspergillus, Fusarium, and Penicillium spp. of fungus are relatively common...especially Aflatoxin. Aflatoxin mainly attacks the liver and it's the liver damage which then gives you the neurologic signs and general weakness. Treatment is mainly supportive: remove the affected feed, supplement with vitamins incl selenium, and increase their protein intake by at least 1% temporarily.

I agree completely; I use 'botulism' as a blanket term to describe whatever bacterial toxin they have ingested. I guess we'll see in the morning....

Got it. Hopefully you've seen the worst of it and can now just help their little bodies repair the damage. The livers of young critters have a remarkable capacity for healing.

I guess being partially paralyzed makes it very difficult to rest comfortably. Until your person build you a hammock out of her favorite scarves. Then you go to sleep instantly!

They went from peeping and thrashing to asleep in ten seconds! Hoping some rest will fix them up.

Back
Top Bottom