My Bared Rock hen is losing feathers...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Farmer Peggy, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Farmer Peggy

Farmer Peggy Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    Hi Everyone
    I was wondering if anyone could help me my bared rock hen has lost feathers on her chest belly and on her back just before her tail feathers. I put Ivomec drops on the hens and rooster about once a month. I am going to get some Food grade DE. She seems to always have lose stool, sometimes when I pick her up she poops all down me! I just bathed her and trimed the feathers on her butt to try to keep that area clean. This has been going on for a long time. I don't think she is sick. I have put her and my rooster in the County fair next weekend but she is not looking very nice. Can anyone suggest anything I should do?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She's molting some, most likely. I have lots that are much more bald than her now. The back area is also a common area for rooster damage from his claws. Just be sure to check for mites/lice, just to be sure. Also, you could give her some extra protein in the form of canned salmon or mackerel once or twice a week, which may help with feather regrowth.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    My only barred rock has the same problem. I tried everything from pine tar to saddles. Her name is now officially "Dumpy". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by