My beloved rooster seems to be dying... HELP!

Quote:
I would somewhat agree with this but I never waited. I follow my gut instinct. Another helpful thing I do for my "patients" is putting them in my spare bathroom shower enclosure with lots of paper towels as flooring. This makes a great a ICU as I can monitor through the glass door. Once the bird goes back outside I can clean the shower down with bleach and we are all sanitized.

He is resting again in my living room in a basket. He hasn't been interested in food but just now I mixed up some plain yogurt and wet cat food and he went for it. I am starting t think that he's going to make it. I keep telling him I need him to help me with all those pretty hens out there in the yard--I do think he's listening and believe it or not I think he knows that I love him! Illegal Avian, I had just washed off his face and beak with a warm cloth moments before I read your post!!! Are you a chicken whisperer or what? From the reading I've done it sounds like he might have had a case of botulism?!

Moldy feed anywhere in the yard can cause botulism.... chickens seem to be able to find the smallest needle in a hay stack.... A Molasses flush is often used. Keep up the supportive care,vitamins, try giving warm scrambled eggs, warm canned dog food etc... for strength. When he seems well again, worm him and follow up with some probiotics or yogurt. Best Wishes for your roo.

Quote:
Don't know what kind of Vets you have in "third world Texas" as you describe your location - but I GUARANTEE that the rest of the world, years studying Veterinary medicine, (including avian medicine as required), working through internships and whatever number of years of practice ... trumps any idea that the "Feed Store Guy" who has worked there for a coupla months, maybe even a year or two, has the same or better information about symptoms, course of illness incubation and infection, treatment, and expected outcomes of things from Salmonella, Pullorum, Coccidosis, Aspergillosis, parasites, and West Nile Virus to name a few. Not saying that practical advice from one experienced in farm life isn't valuable, but in in this case, that isn't very sound advice to be giving to someone who is genuinely concerned enough about a rooster described in the thread title as "beloved" to ask for real help and information.
btw- my neighbor's roo is 9 and still doing his job... cheeky little bugger.

In the end, I'm glad to hear he's feeling better - good for you tashideleg for hanging in there! Keep us updated on his progress!

Quote:
Amen!

I find it quite heartwarming that one would not only find, but then register to an online chicken forum at 12:05 AM looking for HELP! ... for a chicken.
If that's not love I don't know what is... and love is mysterious and magical stuff - glad Foggy is getting the best medicine the world has ever known!

The love you whispered in Foggy's ear is what makes a true chicken whisperer...

Quote:
Don't know what kind of Vets you have in "third world Texas" as you describe your location - but I GUARANTEE that the rest of the world, years studying Veterinary medicine, (including avian medicine as required), working through internships and whatever number of years of practice ... trumps any idea that the "Feed Store Guy" who has worked there for a coupla months, maybe even a year or two, has the same or better information about symptoms, course of illness incubation and infection, treatment, and expected outcomes of things from Salmonella, Pullorum, Coccidosis, Aspergillosis, parasites, and West Nile Virus to name a few. Not saying that practical advice from one experienced in farm life isn't valuable, but in in this case, that isn't very sound advice to be giving to someone who is genuinely concerned enough about a rooster described in the thread title as "beloved" to ask for real help and information.
btw- my neighbor's roo is 9 and still doing his job... cheeky little bugger.

In the end, I'm glad to hear he's feeling better - good for you tashideleg for hanging in there! Keep us updated on his progress!

Dear Doctor WarBucks:

I will forward YOUR OPINION to the Legal Department. Please submit cash retainer if you would like further consideration.

Not saying that practical advice from one experienced in farm life isn't valuable, but in in this case, that isn't very sound advice to be giving to someone who is genuinely concerned enough about a rooster described in the thread title as "beloved" to ask for real help and information.

You know what caught my eye about this thread in the first place? She said "beloved rooster" I have a bantam who was a favorite of my Dads That we call Roosty. Last May my Dad unexpectedly and suddenly passed away at 66. Because my Dad loved Roosty so much; Roosty also earned the title "Beloved Roosty" in Dad's memory. So animals-even chickens-can become and are dear to our hearts.​

He seems to be in a recovering mode and I'm Very Happy about it- He's a funny and sweet rooster- the first one I ever had and he and I just seem to have really good karma- He's quite huge and yet he lets me pick him up and always wants to be fed from my hand. I so appreciate the support and help from all of you! I'm Buddhist and so I've also had him by the stereo for the last 24 hours or so, listening to my Tibetan teacher sing Mantras! Crazy huh? I'm also very touched by the late night chicken therapy. I love this forum! I'll keep you updated.

It might also be worth mentioning that while I have great respect for Veterinary doctors, the closest one to where I live is 2 hours and fifteen minutes away and he is mostly a large animal doc, so I do often have to rely on advice,my wits and folk wisdom.

Back
Top Bottom