My birds are still dropping like flies. PLEASE help me!

LaynaDon95

Songster
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
Texas
My meat birds have been dying since I got them Thursday. I talked to my friend's dad who's raised meaties his whole life and he said based on their symptoms they were having heart attacks from growing too quickly. He suggested I start taking their food away overnight. I took their food away when I got home and so far everyone is alive and doing well. My layer chicks, not so much. I think they have some sort of respiratory infection. They all the sudden grow weak, I find them laying on their sides barely breathing. Their crops are always empty when they get to this point and it happens very suddenly. They silently gasp for air (unsuccessfully) and convulse and die, leaving a weird mucus in their throat. They all look fine, but I've had 3 die. Like I said, it happens very suddenly. I'm only able to pick them out about an hour before they die, sometimes less. Does ANYONE have ideas? I'm about to put duramycin 10 powder in their water. I don't know what else to do. They are only 3-31/2 days old. What in the world could have infected them this early?

I do not know what may have infected them but I do suggest you take them to a local avian vet to be diagnosed and treated. It seems like you have a serious problem here!

I can't afford doing anything like that. I live in a small town and I don't even know if anyone around here would do that.
I just added the duramycin to their water. I'm at a loss. I just feel totally defeated.

Don't give up yet! I hope that works! Does your coop have proper ventilation? That may be one of the causes for the respiratory symptoms... just naming possibilities...

Don't give up yet! I hope that works! Does your coop have proper ventilation? That may be one of the causes for the respiratory symptoms... just naming possibilities...
They are only 3 days old. They are in a brooder, not the coop. I've had 12 dead babies since Thursday night and they just keep dying. I've started paying my brother 10 cents a chick to collect dead ones and bury them so I don't have to look at them anymore. I don't know how much more of this I can take. (Sorry for the pity party. I'm just SO tired of this.)

Where did they come from? Shipped or local? I got a shipment in from McMurray on Monday and lost ALL the Sumatras either in shipment or shortly thereafter but thought all the other breeds were doing fine. I have lost at least one to three each day since, though, and feeling your frustration! All my other chicks that hatched here and the ones a week older from Ideal (that are in the same brooder house, same feed, etc.) are doing fine. Wish I knew what was going on, too!!

Well, I don't know what to tell you, but I did want to tell you that I am really sorry to hear about this. :-( It's really hard to see animals you have become attached to suffer and die like that. I will pray that they start doing better with the medication you mentioned you put in their water.

Where did they come from? Shipped or local? I got a shipment in from McMurray on Monday and lost ALL the Sumatras either in shipment or shortly thereafter but thought all the other breeds were doing fine. I have lost at least one to three each day since, though, and feeling your frustration! All my other chicks that hatched here and the ones a week older from Ideal (that are in the same brooder house, same feed, etc.) are doing fine. Wish I knew what was going on, too!!
They are from Ideal. It seems to be the Wyandottes that are dying. (and of course the meaties) The Wyandottes are my favorites! Of course. :( I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. I wish above all else that I just knew why this was happening. Maybe then I would know what to do!
Well, I don't know what to tell you, but I did want to tell you that I am really sorry to hear about this. :-( It's really hard to see animals you have become attached to suffer and die like that. I will pray that they start doing better with the medication you mentioned you put in their water.
I appreciate it. I split the order with some friends, so I have their chicks too until they come to get them .That's part of what makes this so sad! Some of them aren't even mine! I feel like I'm just letting other people's baby birds die! They are never going to trust me with their birds again.
sad.png

dont know much about whats going on, but i did have a star gazer once and i went and got some childs liquid vitamins and added that to the water. When i raised my cornish x i added some sugar to their water, i believe there may be a trick with vinegar in their water. I would try reposting this thread, i know the people in "raising baby chicks" were more then helpful for me. good luck

Back
Top Bottom