My Black Cochin roo is hurt!

txhomegrown

Songster
9 Years
Dec 18, 2010
Como, TX
When I went out to feed this morning, I saw that my big black roo was just hunkered down outside the wire. When I got closer, I noticed that he was not right. His back had been pretty much skinned and most of his wing feathers were gone too. I picked him up and checked him out. There was no blood, his eyes were bright and he was alert so I put him back in the pen. He went into the coop and has been just standing there for quite a while now. I am not sure what happened. If my dogs had done it, I don't think there would have been enough left to find. It almost looks like the road rash I would get when I would wreck my motorcycle! I am going to be watching him closely to make sure he is going to be OK. What should I put on his back. Would something like neosporin be alright to use? I posted this on the LF Cocjin thread, then thought that this was where it should have gone. Sorry for the duplication.

Neosporin works well. As does Blukote. Sounds like he tangled with something. I'd be trying to figure out what it was because it may be back for another stab at a free meal.

Good luck.

I just went and check on him. Now he has ants crawling on the wounded areas. I know it has to be hurting him. What can I do. I really need help.

I put him in the bathtub for now. I put neosporin on him because that is what I had here at the house. I am sure I missed some spots, but I will keep putting it on him and will coat all of the bad spots before I am done. I got most of the ants off of him and gave him food and water. I am sure I will be up all night checking on him.
fl.gif

Do you have EPSOME SALT????
If you do get a big bucket, fill it up with warm water and put Epsome salt in it ASAP!
Do this TWICE a day...the Epsome salt will draw out any infection , dirt, germs that are on him , help dry out the wound and heal the sores faster...them take Neosporin and rub it into all the really really bad spots...
Keep him isolated and in a place where the heat and bugs cannot get to him until he starts to scab over.

NEXT....
make him a scrambled egg and but 2 tablespoons of buttermilk in it and feed that to him once a day...a bit of vitamins in the water will not hurt either. This mixture will help give him the extra nutrients he will need to heal and feel better

Hope this helps

--laura--

Quote:
I will get the epsom salts in the morning. I was wondering if cut-heal would be good. I use it on myself all the time. It seems to make a wound heal fast, and it keeps the bugs away.

I am sorry to report, he died this morning. He was in a lot worse shape than I thought he was. He was skinned from neck to tail.
There is a semi-happy ending to the story though. The 7 eggs in the incubator that were fertilized by him started hatching this morning. 2 out so far and 3 more have pipped. He will leave behind some pure bred black cochins that I can only hope will turn out to be as big and beautiful as he was.

I am sorry for being rude. I meant to thank everyone that posted trying to help him. He was just too far gone.

Last edited:
sorry you lost your fellow -- I hope you can discover for sure what happened to him so it doesn't happen to any of your other birds. I hope his legacy hatches out beautiful and healthy!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom