My blind chick, with Pics.

lemurchaser

Songster
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
Corvallis, OR
Meet Helen.

She was born with what seems to be cataracts. At first I had to feed her to keep her alive, then she started feeding herself, then finding the food on her own. She now, at 5 weeks, seems to see a little bit, at least she senses light and dark, and when something big is in front of her. I love watching her discover stuff, she'll do progressively closer and closer pecks, until she finds what she is looking for. I've moved the food and water around, and she finds it again. She is currently in an outside run (4'x8') with chicks her own age and younger, and she's doing great.

I've even been letting the chicks out to free range in the evenings when I'm around. She is able to follow the other chicks around, although since she can't see the bugs, she doesn't get a lot out of it. She does love to scratch in the dirt. I've had to rescue her once, after she'd wandered off and couldn't find her way back. But I really want her to sort out her own problems, so I'm trying to leave her be as much as possible. The only major hurdle to go are the older chickens, they've been chasing off the younger chicks when they are around, but poor Helen can't see them, so she gets a good peck every once in a while. Its all supervised, but I'm trying to let them figure it out. Helen is starting to figure out when the big chickens are close, because the last few times she's made a mad dash back to the coop when the big girls come near.

Here she is. I think she is an EE mix, I just really hope she lays green eggs eventually (although who knows where I'll find them). You can see her cataracts and her eyes always look a little sunken in to me.

Here she is next to her sibling. She was very stunted, due to not knowing how to eat for the first week.
P7020010.jpg

Helen at 1 week old. You can see her cataracts/cloudiness in her eye really clearly.
P7020016.jpg

Helen, today, at 5 weeks. If you look carefully, you can see her cataracts. And she does have a normal tail, well it's scruffy, but she holds it down most of the time.
P7280154.jpg

Last edited:
She is so pretty! "Helen" is such a good name.
smile.png

That is so neat she can perhaps see a little bit to eat & run from the big chickens, too. You have done such a good job with her!

Here's hoping for some pretty green eggs!!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
That's kind of you to say she is pretty, but I kind of think she is a little homely. I mean I love her, but she's kind of scruffy, drab, and has a tiny head
tongue.png
She is getting cuter though.

After 10 days of calling her "tiny blind chick" my friends suggested I name her. The first name she suggested was "Helen" and it was too funny to not use. Sometimes I accidently treat her like she's blind AND deaf, I have to remind myself that she can hear (or at least I think she can).

Quote:
It isn't all that free. It is a backyard with a 6 foot fence. She doesn't have a ton of room to get into trouble. I know she is high risk for predators, so I may only let her out when I'm around. We'll see. I'm trying to see what she is able to do at this point, if she can navigate the yard, stay safe, and enjoys it, I'll give her freedom. If she keeps getting lost and/or is scared of it, then I'll keep her cooped up with a friend every morning. I just want her to have a fairly normal, happy life.

Oh my gosh, what a heartwarming story!! How sweet of you to keep her and "train" her to be able to live with her blindness! You are a very good person. Sounds like shes a strong girl with a will live fight and live.

I am not trying to be nice or anything, honestly! When I saw that last picture you posted, I thought to myself "That is one of the cutest looking chickens I have ever seen". I kid you not!!
smile.png
That is the first thing that came to my mind. She just has a really sweet look to her!

awww...I think she's cute AND pretty!

Please take extra care about letting her free range. She's defenseless...and you know how other chickens can turn on one that is different in any way.

Helen is a perfect name. I think she'd have to be my special pet and get most of the attention!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom