My blind Rose had a seizure

Redfeathers

Songster
12 Years
Oct 11, 2007
Gervais OR
I went out to the pen to put the chickens to bed and found Rose with her eyes closed and her head all the way on her back, she then stumbled and fell over. Her comb and wattles were very pale. I picked her up figuring this was the end for her and held her. She seemed to fall asleep and then woke up a little. I took her inside and wrapped her in a towel and held her figuring she was going to die but it might take her a little while. About an hour later she woke up and seemed to perk up a bit. She drank water and ate a little oatmeal then fell back to sleep. I don't have the heart to put her back outside so she is in a box laying on a towel. Anybody ever go through this before? I have no idea if she is going to live or die through the night.

Here is a pic of her looking up to me when I called her name, I think she can see a little bit, maybe shapes or something. She stopped laying eggs about a week ago and seemed to have a mini seizure yesterday afternoon...she was slow to come out of the coop this morning but ate and drank pretty well.

Picture056.jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea what may have caused her blindness (there is an occular form of Mareks but there are also many other things which can cause blindness including cattaracts and other less severe illnesses that the bird can recover from somewhat altho the blindness may never be reversed) .... the pale comb would seem to indicate anemia of some sort... which in turn would suggest she has some nutritional deficiencies going on (might include malabsorption which occurs with any illness or stress>basically this means she is not absorbing the nutrients from her feed properly)
I would concentrate her feed with some baby parrot handfeeding formula (get from petstore or even ENSURE if you can get that and not the parrot formula) this is a powder which you add water too...mix that in with her feed and also with some live culture yogurt ...
You can also give three or four drops of Polyvisol Enfamil formulation childrens liquid vitamins... this all should help address any deficiencies. If she gets through this I would get AviaCharge 2000 (a complete nutr/vit supplement which can be purchased from McMurray or Strombergs) as this bird is probably not eating sufficiently due to her blindness.
I would also choose a crumble type feed and mix just enough cooked human oatmeal through that (cooked in water not milk) to make it all clump to gether...this way she will get more feed with every bite)

Last edited:
Thank you for those excellent suggestions. I gave her some oatmeal mixed with her crumbles this morning and she ate a little. She obviously made it through the night and is able to stand again. Her comb is red but she still isnt herself. I will get the vitamins in her water. I have some on hand from the last time you gave me advice about her, they really seemed to help. I have a feeling though, that she is going to continue to have problems and I figure she only has a short time left....but, she has fooled me before and found a way to thrive and actually laid eggs for awhile. I'll keep you guys posted on how she is doing.

I hope she will live
fl.gif
.i gave my brother a chicken named rose for easter, her mom is a w. Leghorn that went broody

It's 8pm and she is still with us. She wondered around the yard and pecked at the tall grass by the fence. She won't eat anything other then sunflower seeds and oatmeal. I'm giving her whatever she wants. This chicken has been through so much and she just keeps on surprising me with her will to live.

Back
Top Bottom