My Blue Orpington is a Cochin? Or not?

Kukelekuu

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
I have two little pullets and a cockerel that I have been told are Blue Orpingtons. I got them from a nearby breeder who is supposed to be quite reputable. I took the little boy to the fair today, my trick for getting people interested in adopting him. It's a very relaxed, small town fair, where pretty much anything goes. The judge decided that my boy was Cochin cross. I spoke with the breeder, who told me that his roos come from off-island, and he thinks they're purebred, but as they're not his own he can't say.

Now my little cockerel has very distinctive feathered legs. Are Blue Orpingtons supposed to have feathered legs? I cannot find a website that will give me a straight answer on that. The judge decided that he was a Cochin based on the legs, as well as him being small, portly, and loose-feathered, with very short tail.

Do you people have any ideas? I can't speak for how well the judge knows his chickens, as he's really just an island chicken enthusiast who knows his stuff. I thought that the round body and short tail were just a development stage. The sticking point are his feathered legs.

I don't have a picture, but I'll try for one tomorrow sometime.

If your cockerel has feathered legs, he is definitely not a Blue Orpington as Orpingtons have dark colored, clean legs. As to whether or not he is a Cochin we would need a photo as there are many breeds (and crosses) with feathered legs. Trying to ID him without a photo is like shooting in the dark. I'll look forward to seeing your picture.

Thank you! Knowing about the feathered legs is a huge help. I will try to get a picture as soon as I can.

I'll wait for a photo to be sure, but my guess is that he is a Cochin or Cochin mix. Langshans are another breed that come in blue and have feathered legs, so he could be that or a mix of that as well.

Never uploaded a picture before. Hope this works...

I compared him to the Cochins at the fair today, and I have to say he did look different. His body shape was different. The judge did say he was a Blue Cochin cross though. The cockerel is almost three months old. These pictures were taken today.

Thank you all so much!

I compared him to the Cochins at the fair today, and I have to say he did look different. His body shape was different. The judge did say he was a Blue Cochin cross though. The cockerel is almost three months old. These pictures were taken today.
I agree with the judge at the fair. He looks like a Blue Cochin mix cockerel. He is a beautiful bird though.

Back
Top Bottom