My BO won't eat. What's wrong w/ her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheSpiceGirls, Oct 4, 2011.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    My Buff Orpington won't eat. She's 11 months old. We went on vacation last week and had a chicken sitter and her EE sister did pick on her. So I gave the EE away last night.

I've been pulling the BO aside to try and feed her but the only thing she'll eat are meal worms.

She's also shedding lots of feathers.

Is she just molting and unclear of what is going on?

Or do you think something more happened last week while we were gone? I'm afraid that the neighbor kids may have chased the chickens around. But I asked them NOT to pick them up so I don't think there's anything physical wrong w/ her. Her tail is up and she's motoring around the yard like she always does. But shows no interest in bugs or slugs like she used to.

And she hasn't laid an egg since we returned. Not sure how many she laid while we were gone. I have another brown egg layer and I can barely tell the two apart.

I just took her to the vet who says she looks okay but agrees that she looks lethargic. He took a blood sample and I gave him a poop to analyze for worms. Said he'd call in the morning.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone has. She's my favorite hen in the whole wide world and I'll be sick if I loose her. Not to mention, I'd be down to just the one hen who hate being alone. That would be an issue.

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I am sorry...

Perhaps the heat did it to her? Is she drinking water? You said you went on vacation, was anyone taking care of them for you?

3. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Anyone? I'm looking for any advice here.

I gave away my EE last night cuz she was bulling the BO. If I lose the BO, I'll just have one hen left and I can't have that. She'll be so lonely.

4. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Yes, someone was taking care of them. But I think she brought her little boy over w/ her and I'm afraid he may have chased her around and frightened her. I'm super gentle and protective of her. The chicken sitter also gave them WAY too many treats. They had veggies and scraps all over their run when I got back.

I haven't seen her drink water but I'm pretty sure she is. Her poops are much smaller than usual but still topped w/ the white top which is the urine.

I wish I knew for certain if she was molting or if that was another problem.

5. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    i have aBO at 2 yrs adn at the moment she is the same

mine is more towards the fact that she has babies and prefers to give her food away...

mealworms area full of allsorts its notsomethign to constantly give her as you have said but if she is eating them throw in a few extra , thats what i have need doing ive been throwing a few more in to makesure she eatsat tleast something .

may be a sillt question but its somethig everyone seems to ask first . have you wormed her recently.
    as i was saying about mine i did a little wormingtoo and i think that has helped, did not see anything but sheseemed a little happier afterwards

the feathers could be moulting im notsure what age it starts but mine is moulting at themomnet and does not seemhappy about it she looks a littlestressed with it all compared to her sister when she moulted

so.....

it couldbe a littlebit of everything moulting heat, and she MISSED YOU !!!!

hope my rambiling can help a little .... good luck and i hope all is ok with you and your chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by