My Brahmas are freaking out

Gryphon84

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
I"m a first time chicken owner and we live in a small city with two Brahmas. They started out being quiet with soft cackling that I couldn't even hear from the front yard but yesterday I noticed they were getting loud I heard them over my headphones in my house. Its gotten so bad that I brought them inside (They were taken out of the brooder into the outside coop right before they got really loud). There are no ordinances in my city about chickens but I don't want to upset my neighbors. I've tried all their favorite foods but nothing quiets them. Is it an age thing (they are almost two months)? Was it an enviroment thing (in addition to spending the day outside they started spending the night too)? My Brahma's are really neat birds This webiste says they are quiet birds and I want to keep them as pets but if their that loud I can hear them over my headphones in the house I don't know how long my neighbors would put up with that and the last thing I want is for my city to get ordinances against chickens.

Please help me!

Usually I associate loud hens with egg laying. Every morning when I am in the kitchen making breakfast I can hear my hens crowing. My chickens are on the opposite side of my 5 acre property. 500 feet at the very very very least but I am a very bad judge of distances.
But your hens seem a little young for egg laying. Brahmas I heard are especially late layers. It might be possible they want out if they are in a coop without a run (my will SCREAM if i keep them in too long).
I would talk to your neighbors, especially if you don't have to worry about them turning you in.

welcome-byc.gif

How old are they?
Are there predators around? (cats, neighborhood dogs)

There are a lot of things that could cause this... they do make a racket when they lay an egg, and when they are alarmed about something...

Sometimes young hens are alarmed by a lot of things you may not be aware of (neighbors sprinkler starting, a barking dog somewhere, and airplane flying overhead, a crow or some other bird flying overhead, etc)

Eventually they will calm down -

I'd talk to your neighbors if you're worried about it... you will find that most are fairly amenable and even enchanted at the thought that you have a few hens... especially if you are the first to express concern at the noise they are creating...

More information will help with better advice... but dont' worry too much about it if you can.

Just taken out of the brooder and put outside? They might be frightened because they are in a new environment. Little things will spook them until they grow accustomed to the sights and sounds, and learn what things are really threats and what are not.

Maybe try putting them out for a just a little while each day, gradually increasing the amount of time out there until they settle down.

Back
Top Bottom