My brave girl found the brook!

dreamofwinter

Songster
Mar 1, 2021
Downeast Maine
My three ducks are 14 weeks old and spend their day free ranging with the chickens. Mostly they stay out of trouble, though occasionally I find everyone on the other side of the road (WHY!? argh). The lead duck, Sage (Blue Swedish) generally is in charge of the other two ducks, and all three ducks are in charge of the chickens, particularly the two youngest Cochins.
Today I heard different quacking than usual and looked out the window to see only two ducks! These three are never, ever separated so I knew something was up. I went outside, where I could hear Sage, the missing duck, gabbing away off at the edge of the property where we have a brook. Now, I figured they'd eventually explore the brook, once they got confident enough to tackle the banks. Sure enough, Sage was splashing away and calling for her clueless flock mates to join her.
Here's the part I'm thrilled about. When I called to her from the bank, a good 20-30 feet away, she actually listened! She came back down the brook and waddled up the bank, and followed me around the barn to where the other two were anxiously waiting.

I'm really pleased that she listened! They aren't cuddly ducks - they like me and know I'm the one who feeds them and controls the in/out in the morning and evening, but they aren't buddy-buddy with me. So having Sage actually obey was amazing! I'm sure she took the other girls over there as soon as I went back in the house though. As long as she doesn't try to lead the chickens in, it's all good!

I know, kind of a silly story, but as a first-time duck owner I find literally everything about them delightful. All this AND they'll lay eggs eventually? What lovely creatures.

My three ducks are 14 weeks old and spend their day free ranging with the chickens. Mostly they stay out of trouble, though occasionally I find everyone on the other side of the road (WHY!? argh). The lead duck, Sage (Blue Swedish) generally is in charge of the other two ducks, and all three ducks are in charge of the chickens, particularly the two youngest Cochins.
Today I heard different quacking than usual and looked out the window to see only two ducks! These three are never, ever separated so I knew something was up. I went outside, where I could hear Sage, the missing duck, gabbing away off at the edge of the property where we have a brook. Now, I figured they'd eventually explore the brook, once they got confident enough to tackle the banks. Sure enough, Sage was splashing away and calling for her clueless flock mates to join her.
Here's the part I'm thrilled about. When I called to her from the bank, a good 20-30 feet away, she actually listened! She came back down the brook and waddled up the bank, and followed me around the barn to where the other two were anxiously waiting.

I'm really pleased that she listened! They aren't cuddly ducks - they like me and know I'm the one who feeds them and controls the in/out in the morning and evening, but they aren't buddy-buddy with me. So having Sage actually obey was amazing! I'm sure she took the other girls over there as soon as I went back in the house though. As long as she doesn't try to lead the chickens in, it's all good!

I know, kind of a silly story, but as a first-time duck owner I find literally everything about them delightful. All this AND they'll lay eggs eventually? What lovely creatures.
How amazing, my brother loves his ducks, especially his Pekin Daisy. His treasured baby! :D

I don't think you need to worry about the ducks trying to bring the chickens into the water. Chickens much preferred dust bathing to actual water!
Very cute story, by the way. Although I asked myself, where are the pictures? 😂

I don't think you need to worry about the ducks trying to bring the chickens into the water. Chickens much preferred dust bathing to actual water!
Very cute story, by the way. Although I asked myself, where are the pictures? 😂
Yes!!!! Pictures, please!

My chickens are divas. My ducks think they're chickens, I think. But my chickens sure as heck don't think they're ducks!

Love this story!!!! You must be so proud!!!

Back
Top Bottom