My brave WR Rooster killed by hawk today...

Bizzybirdy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
North of Nashville
Am just devastated....
hit.gif
This morning my very brave White Rock rooster rushed to defend his young hens and babies that adored him and was killed by a nasty hawk that turned it's fury on him. He was in my side yard where several of the youngsters and a few hens stay during the day...only a couple feet from my front door..and this monster swooped down from the roof of the chicken house. I am soooo upset, "Friendly" was a beautiful, sweet rooster that I was keeping to eventually replace my old White Rock roo, and I had just taken the photo in my avatar of him 2 days ago.

Have spent years fortifying this place against against racoons and possums, sitting out many nights eradicating them...and now a stinking huge HAWK that has no fear of humans even??!!!

He died valiantly doing his job. God has a special place for roosters like him...honor him by making him a name stone for his grave. I am so sorry.
hugs.gif

So sorry!!! I have had a hawk pestering my flock for a couple of weeks now. I leave a window cracked open a little bit during the day so I can hear when they are in distress. It is definitely a different noise they make. I run out and shoot a couple rounds in the air and he leaves for awhile. He is persistant. I cringe at thinking he may swoop down and get one. Roosters are valiant guys--bless his heart--doing his job-there is a special place for him in chicken heaven.

Thank you all...yes, this was a special guy who had a wonderful kind heart to everything and everyone. Cannot stop crying.
hit.gif
Tomorrow morning I will bury "Friendly" and we will be watching for Mr. Hawk...don't know what we can do except try to scare him witless. This big guy will swoop right next to you, if not at you. A really mean thing who dug his talons into the neck and head of my roo... any suggestions? I cannot net the whole yard though...

Back
Top Bottom