My brave WR Rooster killed by hawk today...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bizzybirdy, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Am just devastated.... [​IMG] This morning my very brave White Rock rooster rushed to defend his young hens and babies that adored him and was killed by a nasty hawk that turned it's fury on him. He was in my side yard where several of the youngsters and a few hens stay during the day...only a couple feet from my front door..and this monster swooped down from the roof of the chicken house. I am soooo upset, "Friendly" was a beautiful, sweet rooster that I was keeping to eventually replace my old White Rock roo, and I had just taken the photo in my avatar of him 2 days ago.

Have spent years fortifying this place against against racoons and possums, sitting out many nights eradicating them...and now a stinking huge HAWK that has no fear of humans even??!!!

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    [​IMG] im sorry [​IMG]

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    He died valiantly doing his job. God has a special place for roosters like him...honor him by making him a name stone for his grave. I am so sorry. [​IMG]

4. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm sorry.

5. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG]

6. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG]

So sorry [​IMG]

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Oh I am so sorry. What a brave rooster. [​IMG]

8. effie

effie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    West(by god) Virginia
    So sorry!!! I have had a hawk pestering my flock for a couple of weeks now. I leave a window cracked open a little bit during the day so I can hear when they are in distress. It is definitely a different noise they make. I run out and shoot a couple rounds in the air and he leaves for awhile. He is persistant. I cringe at thinking he may swoop down and get one. Roosters are valiant guys--bless his heart--doing his job-there is a special place for him in chicken heaven.

9. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    He did his job well and proudly. Sorry for your loss.

10. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Thank you all...yes, this was a special guy who had a wonderful kind heart to everything and everyone. Cannot stop crying. [​IMG] Tomorrow morning I will bury "Friendly" and we will be watching for Mr. Hawk...don't know what we can do except try to scare him witless. This big guy will swoop right next to you, if not at you. A really mean thing who dug his talons into the neck and head of my roo... any suggestions? I cannot net the whole yard though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by