My broilers just arrived!

TyerFamilyFarm

Chirping
Feb 16, 2015
We just got our fist batch of broilers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are new to broilers so i am sure we are in for an experience. Thanks!

Expect to have these birds for at least 7 weeks because that is normally their butcher age. I put mine down on horse bedding pellets (the ones when you put water down they expand) and took a cat scoop and picked up all the poop do it wouldn't create ammonia or cause breast blisters to form. Cornish need water and food at all time, you can tell when you nred to change waterer size when they go through it too fast. Good luck and learn a lot.

I have a ton of shavings and the broader box I built has a quick change bottom so hopefully that will help. Good idea with the pellets I might have to try that. I have them with a gallon feeder now but I do have a 3 gallon bottle I will use when they outgrow that. The tractor I have has a water system on it so that should work. They eat non stop even at this age that's amazing! What temp do I need to have them at?

Hi, my advice is also to use the pellets for brooding since they seem to help prevent blisters/abrasions in the breast area :) As well you might want to consider probiotics (they come in packages or yougert with live cultures, and ACV (apple cider vinager with the mother added like Braggs)) it REALLY helps to eliminate the odor the meaties eliminate OH SO WELL lol! Some people also use fermented feed for them since it helps with the smell and to give increased usability of protien for them. There's a whole conversation/fourum for that here on byc. BeeKissed, Arielle as well as others have GREAT advice and share some stories Welcome to Meaties :)

I'm new to broilers myself. Mine will be here in about a month, unless the hatchery gets them to me earlier. We have 25 Red Broilers coming. We plan on feeding Purina Game Flock (green bag), it's 28% protein. Also the week before we process we plan on adding molasses to their water.

We are at 7 days old now. I currently have them on a 23% broiler starter that my local feed mill makes. They have been eating very well and drinking water. I lost one on the second day. The rest are running around and starting to get feathers. What the reasoning for the molasses before slaughter?

TO sweeten them up. We do it to our other livestock we eat too. Not sure if it really works 100%, but to me it seems to help.

I finished up my chicken tractor today and was able to move my birds outside. They are now 4 weeks old and so far today have loved the outdoors. I am excited for them to be outside and on freshgrass. Temps here are 70 so they are fine w I tout the heat lamp. Do you guys have any advice for the final step of raising the broilers. They all seem to be thriving. Thanks for the help!

Word of advice on building a cheap tractor. I have been watching Craigslist for free wood and materials and I only have $13 into building this tractor. I still have a few improvements to make but it 8th working great so far

TO sweeten them up. We do it to our other livestock we eat too. Not sure if it really works 100%, but to me it seems to help.

We are getting broilers in about a month as well. It will be our first batch...hoping to make a small (and i mean small...i am not quitting my day job!) business out of it. Loving all the info here!

How much molasses to you add? Is there a formula that you use.

I have also heard about people adding milk replacer, just a handful on top of their feed a week or 2 before processing. any thoughts on that?

Back
Top Bottom