My brooder caught on fire

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BayPanda, Mar 19, 2016.

1. BayPanda

BayPanda New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    I have a giant thick plastic brooder box... It's a water trough that houses my 8 chicks. I came home today and smelled smoke :( I ran out to my garage (which was full of smoke) and got my chicks out quickly and washed out my brooder box. 6 of the chicks are 4 weeks old and luck to fly around and one of them tried standing on the wire to the lamp and pulled it down which let to a hole being melted in the brooder. Everything in my garage smells like smoke and my chicks faintly smell too. They all seem to be fine (no wheezing) just sharing my experience with everyone:/

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    You should have placed a screen top over the trough so that could not happen.

3. BayPanda

BayPanda New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    I had stuff over the top not screen though. It was my fault for making the cord go over the top of the box. I fixed it though

4. Wfpendragon

Wfpendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2016
    Wisconsin
    sorry to hear that I am glad your chicks are okay and nothing burned down

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    oh my Gosh! Thank God you were home to save everything!! This is my biggest fear that's why this year I bought the Radiant heat EcoGlow brooder. it can't catch fire. I came very close a few years back when chick dust got on my bulb and was smoldering! so scarey!! I'm so glad everyone is ok!!!! Thank God!

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Rejoicing that your chicks are okay and your house didn't burn down! What a close call!

Next time you brood chicks, consider ditching that dangerous heat lamp and brooding with the heating pad system. It's inexpensive and safe. There's no way chicks can mess around and start a fire with it!

Read about the system on the thread "Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder". Or skim through my article on outdoor brooding linked below this post.

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My heat lamp is above the hardware cloth brooder top, and double attached; chain and twine up overhead, and the cord up overhead too. It's dangerous! Mary

8. Sky is Falling

Sky is Falling Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    Albuquerque, NM
    Glad to hear it all was caught in time! I have mine in my shower inside the house and I fear every day on the trip home from work that I will see firetrucks in front of my house. I have the hardware cloth over the top, and the lamp is attached by wire to the shower bar so at least if it comes loose it will just hover, but my paranoia remains... Think I am only a week or two out from getting them into the coop, but it is a scary thing for me... Glad to hear everyone and everything is ok!

9. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

So glad to hear you were able to rescue the babies in time! After a week and a half, I got paranoid about that dang lamp and switched to the Mama Heating Pad...great thread, please check it out....use any heating pad in a pinch that doesn't have an automatic off....but I do like the one recommended at the beginning of the thread...those lamps should be outlawed. My chicks are about the age of yours and yes lots of flying at that point...

10. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Watch pretty carefully over the next few days for signs of difficulty breathing. They got through the initial smoke inhalation event, but as the airways try to clear any trapped smoke particles it can get a bit mucus-y in the lungs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by